Monday, December 1, 2014

Season of Giving, Season of Grace



Thanks has been given, family has been visited, and the pumpkin pies were made, survived the trip to Fayetteville unharmed (though, one of them spilled in the oven because the pan they were sitting on warped as it heated up, and also developed a weird pattern of bubbles that looked like I'd let Brooklyn dig around on it with a butter knife), and eaten with gusto --- I would consider Thanksgiving a success. :) It was definitely less stressful this year with Brooklyn a little older (and much better than the year before that, because I spent the entire time we were at people's houses hiding from the smells in a back bedroom due to morning sickness).




We got to support local businesses, get a few things for Sprout, and a few things for Christmas while we were in Fayetteville. One shop owner thanked me for wearing a sweatshirt with their logo on it, and another offered to ship something I ordered through them to Little Rock without charging me postage, if I wasn't able to come in and pick it up, "just for being me." We found cute/fun gifts that aren't available at big box stores, and had an overall more pleasant experience than if we'd braved the Black Friday mobs. "Shopping small" is more than worth it.


This week I have a few handmade projects to finish up, and two more shopping opportunities for the last-minute and difficult people. Take note, Fayetteville residents: the Little Craft Show is this weekend, Friday the 5th and Saturday the 6th, and today is the last day to prebuy tickets for the Friday night preview. It's going to be absolutely amazing, and hopefully not in the middle of a snow-and-ice storm like last year (it was still amazing then, even with the weather).

And for anyone living in Little Rock, there's a local Christmas opportunity next Monday, the 8th - Fellowship North is hosting an array of vendors who support charitable causes, and they have a fun (and raffle!) filled evening planned.



While we were gone, all of the leaves fell off the tree behind our building - I'd say that, combined with the cold front that's creeping in today, marks the end of my celebration of Fall. Because I still need to finish getting Sprout's room ready (at least at this point I'm to a point that nothing has to be done in order to make it baby-friendly - but there are still a few finishing touches) and winding up Christmas shopping/wrapping/stuff, my sole holiday decorating concession was a pretty spray for the front door. It smells nice while you're standing there fiddling with the lock --- and reminds me that grace for myself and others is probably the greatest gift I can give in this season intended for hope but hijacked by stress.

No comments: