Thursday, December 11, 2014

Gift #23

The weekly reckoning...
1108. A busy day at the clinic - I got the cushy chair in the ultrasound lab for my NST
1109. Adam having dinner ready when I got home - amazing stirfry!
1110. Teaching knitting at STEP, and one of the girls drawing a spiritual correlation from it during their closing prayer
1111. The classical radio station coming in until almost Russellville (about half of my trip)
1112. Standing in the rain for an hour with Theo, waiting in line for The Little Craft Show, and having no idea it had been that long because we were talking and having a grand time
1113. An hour of late-night snuggles with Brooklyn when she woke up missing Daddy
1114. Sipping chocolate with a toasted handmade vanilla bean marshmallow from Onyx
1115. Three-generation photobooth silliness
1116. A hot shower, which sort of made up for a lack of sleep
1117. Steel-drummed Christmas songs (there's a guy who sets up his drums outside Whole Foods on the weekends)
1118. Most of the molten wax I dripped getting on my fingernail instead of my finger
1119. Hot vanilla and blogging while Adam showered
1120. Adam staying home with Brooklyn in the morning while I had an appointment, and letting me get groceries alone on my way home


1121. New orders for Adam, beginning January first (since the current set runs out on December thirty-first...)
1122. God's mercy in knowing when I need to take a leap of faith, and when I just need the grace of provision before it's needed

I started the last page of my gift-listing journal this week - sometime in the next few days, I'll finish and file it, then begin a new one. At the bottom of the first page, written just over a year ago, I found a note of gratitude for the job that moved us to Little Rock together (instead of Adam going to Afghanistan and Brooklyn and I staying in Fayetteville).

In the four years we've known each other, and the three years we've been married, there has been a lot of uncertainty. Two averted deployments. A couple of jobless stretches, one followed by a job that paid not-enough (and yet, somehow, we always had enough). God has always provided - odd jobs, commission work, gifts from friends and relatives (sometimes monetary, sometimes needed items, often without them being aware of the need), unexpected checks from strange sources (like a rebate for a surgery Adam had years ago - apparently the doctor was no longer a doctor), reduced expenses... time and again, He showed Himself faithful - even when we maybe didn't make the best possible decisions, and even when we doubted and complained.

That job that we moved here for was a good one, supposed to go until March of next year, and in the mean time he was practically hired for a permanent position --- and then there were budget cuts and a hiring freeze, so not only did the permanent position cease to be, his orders were shortened to end with the year (and only lasted that long because he's a faithful worker and a lot of people put in a good word for him). But with Sprout due in January and a lease that runs through February, that was still kind of an issue.

But we both had a peace about it. We didn't know what provision would look like, but we knew that it would come (if perhaps not with the timing that we might prefer). Elections and political shuffling led to a few positions opening up - but they were already filled (some military jobs require reapplication at set intervals and depending on who applies, the person currently holding the position might get bumped out by a preferred applicant). Which is exactly what happened - so Adam's new job begins January first, which means no gaps in insurance coverage or paychecks, and we found this out a whole 24 days beforehand.

His mercies never come to an end... There are definitely times that I need to be pushed toward a leap of faith that I wouldn't have volunteered for, if given the choice. But there are other times when I am already bent to nearly breaking and simply need the grace of assurance --- and I'm grateful that He knows when to give me that push, and when to extend a loving hand and lead me gently along.
_______________

1123. Brooklyn wanting to play my keyboard, then attempting to play like she saw my Mum playing last week (because she can actually play the piano, unlike me)
1124. All the sheets and towels clean and fluffy
1125. Gluten free/dairy free pumpkin spice pancakes (made by replacing the milk/water called for in the recipe/mix with So Delicious Pumpkin Spice coconut milk :)
1126. Writing most of the Christmas cards uninterrupted (if I can't sleep, I might as well be productive)
1127. also, redeeming the time that Brooklyn spent contained during multiple losses of freedom (which has the added side effect of helping me to be less frustrated)
1128. Chamomile tea - I am determined to conquer this insomnia!


The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will trust in Him.
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us each week to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!


Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons

No comments: