Thursday, November 6, 2014

Turn...

It's Five Minute Friday! A weekly flashmob of bloggers internet-wide, gathering to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing!) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then linking up and sharing a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join, head here!

My mother-in-law left a silk leaf tucked into one of Brooklyn's books - she was delighted when it fell out at the perfect moment as we were reading it before bed!

Retrospection and introspection are favorite pastimes of mine. Turning around to see where I've come from, and turning inward to see how the adventures along my path have affected me, is how I gauge progress. I think that's part of why I love Autumn so much - it's an invitation to slow down from the rush of Summer and revel in the natural glory of changing leaves and changing seasons, with a cozy hoodie and a mug of something hot to keep your hands warm. You can't rush about when you're carrying a cup of cocoa - if you try, you'll end up wearing it instead of drinking it (I'm not speaking from experience or anything on that one... ahem).

But you also can't always look back - without turning your eyes to the path ahead, you'll stumble on roots and rocks and may even walk off the path entirely and look up to find yourself lost in the middle of the woods, with no idea how you got there or how to get back. The same goes for always looking up... and if you always look down, then you'll miss the beauty around you.

I haven't found balance yet - ultimately, I should strive to look around circumspectly, giving equal focus to where I've been, where I'm headed, to those walking beside me and to the path that I'm walking myself --- binding it all together by keeping my heart turned toward Jesus, because He is my companion, my guide, my purpose, my destination, and the Author of my story.

4 comments:

Linda@Creekside said...

Hi Sarah ... I love your fall musings. And yes, it's way too hard to walk with a cup of hot cocoa sloshing in your hands.

I'll sit still with you and enjoy ...

Julie Lefebure said...

Sarah, this is lovely! Retrospection and introspection are favorite pastimes of mine too. Love the picture you painted with the hot cocoa. I've learned not to rush with it in your hands the hard way, also. I haven't found the balance yet either. :) So glad I followed you at FMF!

Summer Floyd said...

loved this. I've worn my hot drinks many times! I think all these turning leaves are symbolic of pages God wants to turn over and turn back and write new in our lives too. Autumn is glorious, Isn't it funny? the world is most scarlet, amber, and brilliant orange bright at the exact moment that it is about to winter die? how often is that true of us and the seasons we go thru in a life?

Barbara London said...

Beautiful, Sarah!! I think we both went in the same general direction, that of looking back, or not looking back but looking ahead!! Thank you for sharing!!