Thursday, November 6, 2014

More Than Enough

This week's gifts...
1003. A lovely day to spend at home, practicing peace, before a busy weekend
1004. Completion of the commissioned knit (I love knitting baby things - so tiny and quick!)
1005. Almost twice my goal saved this month to donate to Mercy House
1006. Dad coming by on his way out of town and reading to Brooklyn while I cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom
1007. Discovering that the stroller we have will fit in my trunk - one less big baby item to buy!
1008. Adam's parents coming to visit, and bringing eggs and winter footie jammies for Sprout
1009. and spending the morning with Brooklyn so that Adam and I could have a coffee date
1010. Brooklyn's bravery in going quietly back to bed with a teething ring after some late snuggles for teething pain
1011. Watching a movie with Adam while she took an extra long afternoon nap
1012. Fourteen signups for my learn-to-knit class at church!
1013. That the cough I've had for a month is finally going away
1014. A box to fill with food for someone else's Thanksgiving
1015. Being able to spend a day resting before diving into a busy week
1016. Selling enough patterns on Ravelry last month to owe them a small percentage
1017. Adam bringing me a soda, which I very much wanted but didn't ask for
1018. A postal system that delivers items without demanding further payment from the recipient
1019. Errands completed in the morning, so we could stay home all the rainy afternoon
1020. Mayonnaise to make dairy-free mashed potatoes for Brooklyn
1021. Sitting on the couch knitting while she played
1022. Eskimo kisses
1023. A hot bath with a new magazine that came in the mail while Brooklyn napped


"The most revolutionary thing we can do is choose to see the good instead of the lack."
[Leeana Tankersley]

One thing that last month's project taught me was that I have more than I thought - more time, more money, more opportunities for rest... more. You'd think almost a year of counting gifts would have hammered that lesson into my tough, knotty psyche, but apparently not.

While I pondering that realization, a friend posted on Facebook that Ann Voskamp had issued a challenge to count one thousand gifts... in the month of November. 33 a day. That's about two an hour, going by my average day. Being me and all, I dug out a pretty journal that someone gave me last Christmas that had been waiting for a worthy use and dove in.

Six days in, I am forced to acknowledge a painful truth: I am not grateful twice an hour. Encouragingly, I'm not ungrateful twice an hour - the last year has at least made me less of a complainer, but instead I tend to exist from moment to moment in a neutral state, accepting things as they are without pausing to perceive them as gifts and to thank the Giver.

So while I'll keep listing my 3-a-day here, I'm going to try to stick it out with 33-a-day for the rest of the month --- clearly, I need it!


The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will trust in Him.
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us each week to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons


What stands out to you more in your own life - the plenty, or the lack?

1 comment:

Kayla said...

There are life seasons where 33 a day comes much more easily than others. And the "mundane" of daily living can definitely make that a struggle. What a neat undertaking!

P.S. Yay for warm footie jammies for Sprout! I have found that having a newborn in winter(or winter-like conditions) presents a bit of a different challenge than having a 6 month old in winter. Footie jammies are absolutely blessings. :)