Monday, October 13, 2014

Well Spent {7 for 31}

This month I'm writing a new post each day about my own version of Jen Hatmaker's 7 experiment. For more posts and an introduction, head hereToday's 7 topic is spending.


Spending week is off to a good start, three day weekend and all. (OK, there was a Columbus Day sale at GAP Maternity, but it was needed items and I chose the jeans that were already marked down. We're still underbudget on clothes for the month.) It's poured rain and been pretty cool all weekend (oh, glorious fall!) which has kept us at home for the most part. Adam and I spent Brooklyn's nap this afternoon alternately beating each other at Monopoly (they were both brief, one-sided games).


Sunday we spent going to church, getting necessary groceries for the week, making food ahead, and we were able to have our after-church meal out, thanks to generous relatives, two of whom gave us gift cards to the same restaurant for our anniversary.


There was also enough of a break in the rain for us to photoshoot that hat I was working on last week: Big Orange. I guess when I stay home more in an effort to not eat out, I have more time (what?!) We even managed to get its namesake Maker of Delicious Burgers in the background while resisting the temptation to eat there.


I'm happy to have the hat finished several weeks ahead of schedule (and just in time for cooler weather!) and I have enough yarn left for a little pair of legwarmers. Hopefully I can finish those up before the end of the month, and then I'll have two Socktober designs.


Brooklyn was adorable and patient during our photoshoot, offering commentary in the language of Babies and Angels (her English is improving, but we still have a ways to go), and she'll probably end up with the legwarmers, since her legs are so slender and it's hard to find pants that are long enough but have a small enough waist.


Between Food last week, Spending this week, and Waste all month, I haven't had chips, candy, or cookies in two weeks. So when a friend posted a chip-like recipe on Facebook that used things we already had, I got up immediately and tried it. It's a thinly sliced (but not all the way through) potato, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and baked on 425 for 45 minutes. Since it requires planning an hour in advance, I'm not concerned about having it too often - but I do think that it would be a lovely addition to a sandwich.

On that delicious note (you're welcome), I'll conclude today's post. Tomorrow is Butterfly Day (don't worry, you've never heard of it because it's one I made up as a kid) which should present some great opportunities for free fun, and I'm looking forward to it!


The expense of time is just as important to keep track of as the expense of money - perhaps more so. How do you make sure that your moments count?
[Join the conversation on Facebook!]

No comments: