Saturday, October 11, 2014

Dessert {7 for 31}

This month I'm writing a new post each day about my own version of Jen Hatmaker's 7 experiment. For more posts and an introduction, head hereToday's 7 topic is food.

Food week is over. On the first page of the journal I'm keeping along with this project, I wrote out a prayer - asking for real heart-change, even with the short amount of time I'm devoting to each topic. I've certainly learned some things this week!


At the beginning of this project, I realized that each area of excess leads to a corresponding deficit. I still don't think that Food is an area of excess in our lives - but it has definitely been a missed opportunity. Our bodies require being fed at intervals in order to keep going, and that's a gift! Multiple times a day we're given the chance to pause, to remember a God who cares and provides for us, and practice at least a few moments of peace and gratitude toward Him while enjoying whatever it is He's provided (even, and especially, if it's not my first choice... I wonder if the Israelites got tired of eating manna every. single. day. for 40 years?) 


Also, I haven't been grocery shopping in nearly a week. I feel almost lost... what am I going to do with a morning that doesn't involve running into Kroger or Whole Foods to pick up a thing or two? But making lists and limiting trips has shown me that a large part of our unnecessary grocery expenditures are the toll of boredom. Going less often gave me less opportunities to be tempted by cookies, making a list helped me both remember to get everything and kept me accountable to not getting anything extra, and making it a more intentional act also ensured that I remembered to take my market bag (which I love - check out this post for a giveaway!)


Not eating out or getting candy and treats not only saved our grocery budget, it also extended the life of my allowance. I knew that it was mostly spent on food (since I rarely had anything to show for it - although, if a small purchase is going to be made, I still have no problem with that being a $3 gluten free treat from Dempsey, just maybe less frequently) but I didn't realize how often I was giving in to craving or convenience, or how quickly those things were adding up. I spotted a lovely raspberry cardi while getting diapers at Target (I'd been looking for something to brighten all of my grey and black maternity clothes - and to help my short sleeves and tank tops live on into the cooler weather) and actually had enough expendable cash in my wallet to buy it, which was a rare and wonderful thing.

So in focusing on Food, I've discovered that while I shouldn't actually focus on food, I also can't allow apathy and busyness to distract me into apple-frittering away the possibility of more lasting purchases, or cause me to overlook the wonderful chance for soul-nourishment that it provides.


Don't forget to check out Tuesday's post for a giveaway, and join me tomorrow as I start a new topic of focus!

No comments: