Thursday, October 23, 2014

Dare... {7 for 31}

This month I'm writing a new post each day about my own version of Jen Hatmaker's 7 experiment. For more posts and an introduction, head hereToday's 7 topic is stress.
Also, it's Five Minute Friday! Bloggers internet wide gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more posts, more info, and/or to join in, head here!


This week has been all about stress - not about being stressed, but how to battle against it. The war has actually been going pretty well, which is very encouraging, and I've had some interesting revelations over the past few days.

Post-baby, rest has been a hard thing to come by. For the past 16 months, one of us (usually me) has been on High Alert at all times, either actively watching an active and demanding Little Person or waiting, nerves alight, for her to wake up. Come January, she will be joined by a sibling (please, God, let this baby be a snuggler!) and that doesn't sound like a recipe for increased rest to me. But I never really tried to find rest - I just assumed that it was impossible, sighed, and moved wearily on.

Stress levels spiked, entitlement reared its ugly head, and tempers flared. I lived a cycle of outbursts and apologies, awash with tears of frustration and of repentance. I whined in God's direction, wondering why it seemed so hard, but never waited for Him to reply.

But with the extra praying, reading, journaling, and just-being that I've been doing this week, a realization slowly began to filter through the fog I've been engulfed in: if I would dare to trust that God would provide me with what I need, then He would provide it. And He did. With no massive effort or exhausting planning on my part, He gave me a day of rest. It didn't look like I thought a day of rest would look like, and at first I didn't even want it, but it came exactly when it needed to and exactly how it needed to.

Dare to pause - to be still - dare to set aside the lists and the busyness that boss our lives - dare to speak to a God who listens - to listen to a God who speaks --- dare to believe His promises, to come to Him, weary and heavy-laden, and empty your hands to receive His rest.


Check out yesterday's post for a giveaway that will help you pause and open your eyes to His rest!
[Join the conversation on Facebook!]

15 comments:

Asheritah said...

I just love this! As a mom to a 13-month-old, I get you. Rest is hard to come by. But time spent with Jesus is always worth every minute of it.

I've been clinging to Jesus' invitation these days: "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-ladden, and I will give you rest." *sigh* Those are words this mama-heart needs to hear. Hope they're encouraging to you as well.

blestbutstrest said...

Rest is so incredibly important--especially in times of stress--but that's when we have to battle with ourselves and 'justify' taking a break. Have young children, caregiving for someone--those acts of service all require time for the giver to rest. If not, you end up used up, brittle and ineffective. I'm glad you found a day of rest!

Jen @ Growing in Faith said...

I'm so glad our God speaks to us. He guides us. And He's ready to step in and carry our burdens when we are weary.

How amazing it that?!

Kristin said...

Oh this - "if I would dare to trust that God would provide me with what I need, then He would provide it. " Love your words!!

Mollie Hardman said...

I can so identify with the outburst/sorry cycle. I have lived it myself. It is encouraging to know that He is there with exactly what we need, exactly when we need it. I strive to spend more time in prayer, reading the Word and journaling. So glad you found your day of rest! :)

Patti said...

Oh, yes, I remember those days, even though my "babies" are now 25 and 28. Praying you find times of rest . . . for your body, for your soul. Thank you for sharing!

Karrilee Aggett said...

LOVE this whole thing, because - of course... but that last chunk... this: "Dare to pause - to be still - dare to set aside the lists and the busyness that boss our lives - dare to speak to a God who listens - to listen to a God who speaks --- dare to believe His promises, to come to Him, weary and heavy-laden, and empty your hands to receive His rest." Just SO MUCH AMEN, my friend!

BusyB said...

I enjoyed reading your words and being in your struggle for a few minutes. I appreciate seeing how you learned to trust God to give you want you needed. Thank-you a FMF friend.

Bethany said...

Dare to pause. Such powerful words, sometimes so hard to do. When the chatter gets so loud it's hard to sit still.

Great Post!!

Bethany

Mama said...

We always seem to get what we need in unexpected ways too!

Jo Rose said...

Daring to be still and rest may be one of the hardest but most needed dares that we will take in our lives. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Shellie said...

interesting, I posted about self care. Rest for sure is one of them! Love this post!

Zohary Ross said...

It does seem like a "dare" to take pause right? I'm a huge fan or rest and taking pauses as needed. Great post!

mbcoudal.com said...

so beautifully written and honestly felt. Yes, take that moment. There is hope in the pause.

Traci Little said...

dare to pause and be still. yes. why is that so hard for us?

Visiting from the #fmf community. Love, Traci Michele www.tracimichele.com