Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Assorted Thoughts {7 for 31}

This month I'm writing a new post each day about my own version of Jen Hatmaker's 7 experiment. For more posts and an introduction, head hereToday's 7 topic is food.

It's Wednesday, putting me at the halfway point of my focus on food. It's been a surprising and revealing journey so far.



1. Hot cereal. We have two boxes of hot cereal in our cabinet, both of which were given to us. They have been sitting there for... awhile (I don't know why - I like hot cereal, as long as it's not oatmeal). But I've been having it for lunch this week (don't have time to make it for breakfast) and it's led to a few sub thoughts:
a. Buckwheat has a nutty flavor that, while different, isn't bad with enough brown sugar on it.
b. I eat lunch while Brooklyn naps, and usually have a Coke with it. Having hot cereal with toast, sausage, and almond milk for lunch is breaking my soda-drinking rhythm by presenting me with a meal option that I don't want to drink something sweet and fizzy with.
c. The secret to amazing gf toast is this: use frozen Udi's whole grain bread. Pull out however many slices you want and rub with a stick of [vegan] butter. Toast. While it's still hot, give it another rub with the butter. I'm having to force myself to only eat one slice at a time.
d. After spending less than half of our weekly grocery budget on groceries for the this week, I was sitting on the balcony eating my cabinet-shopped lunch and wondering what on earth I would be eating if I had decided to buy something new, instead. I couldn't come up with anything else, and continued to enjoy my lunch.
e. Eating outside makes everything better, especially if it's already good.

2. Eggs and potatoes. These are both given to us - my parents have chickens and Adam's parents support a local farmer, so whenever we visit Fayetteville we're sent home with fresh eggs that taste better than the store bought ones. On our last trip, my grandparents generously shared their potato crop. Since these are things we have, I/we have been eating a lot of them:
Brooklyn has an egg almost every night, "fried" in the microwave so that the white and yellow can be eaten separately.
I make a quiche every week, and reheat a slice for breakfast - for or with (I've been using it as a side with some chicken Adam made) dinner, I have a baked potato. Sub thought: microwave-baking a potato, cutting it up and adding butter, salt, pepper, an egg, and cheese (and whatever else you want) then sticking it back in the microwave to melt the cheese and cook the egg is quick, tastes good, and is totally justifiable as a meal because it involves protein, dairy, and a vegetable.
Adam has been having egg-and-cheese, or hashbrowns and eggs for dinner, on the days he gets home early enough to want dinner.
After we finished off the taco casserole, we have a pork chop in the freezer and a carrot that the potatoes will go nicely with.

3. Eating out. I just thought of the answer to the question I was asking myself over the hot cereal - if I wasn't eating that, I would probably be eating out. Usually we eat out together as a family once over the weekend (that's a separate budget from the groceries, and it's our equivalent of the oft-cited "eat dinner together as a family" concept. since we don't often otherwise have a meal all three together), and then I succumb once a week or so to Chick-Fil-A, Dempsey Bakery, Taziki's, or US Pizza, plus Starbucks on Thursday nights for reliable internet and #fmfparty. It helps that I have Brooklyn with me and juggling her is a deterrent to eating out - but when I have something I'm trying to get done (like putting Sprout's room together) and want to use every moment of her nap, it helps if I can eat lunch in the car or in a restaurant while she's distracted by the people and goings on.


Don't forget to check out yesterday's post for a giveaway - also, I'm taking suggestions for egg and/or potato-based dishes!

No comments: