Thursday, September 25, 2014

Because...

It's Five Minute Friday! Bloggers joining together internet-wide to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing!) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate. then linking up and sharing a little comment love. For more posts, more info, and/or to join in, head here!


As I fall asleep each night, I create a to-do list for the following day. Not out of worry or concern, but so that I know what I'm aiming at when I get up. Each task affects the others... if I'm doing laundry, that determines what I'll wear that day. If we're going to the grocery store, I'll need to make a list while our breakfast cooks. If there isn't really anything that needs to be done, then we can sit at the table and read for awhile after we finish eating. And that's just in the first hour of the day.

Even if it's a small thing or a fun thing (I think we should go swing at the park before dinner tonight, since it's so lovely outside) I still like to have a goal - a reason to continue moving from task to task. As the day progresses, so shall I. Otherwise I feel sort of lost, wandering aimlessly and a little sadly, getting absolutely nothing of use or pleasure done and ending my day with no sense of closure.

I'm driven by cause - if I don't have a clear and (at least personally) compelling reason to give for why I'm doing something, then why am I doing it? I don't want to waste the precious gifts of time and energy on things that don't matter - so I try to find a reasonable balance between Use and Pleasure, combine the two when possible, and be ready to give every man an answer beyond the simple just because.

2 comments:

thetoothlessgrin said...

I am exactly the same. Exactly. If I feel like I'm doing something that doesn't matter I definitely feel sad. Thank you for sharing your feelings and experiences. It is encouraging to me to know I'm not the only one out there!

I'm grateful for my Five Minute Friday sisters like you!

Karrilee Aggett said...

I love this Sarah Jo! Yes... I talk often of my Bossy Lists - but most of them include things like coffee dates or swinging in the park... if I am just meandering through my day, I feel less intentional. And yet, I am also learning the skill of being spontaneous and not being tied to my list of Bossy! ;) Love you, friend!