Thursday, August 21, 2014

Change...

It's Five Minute Friday! A weekly flashmob of bloggers, joining together to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then linking up and sharing a little comment love. Head here for more info, more posts, and/or to join in!


Be the change you wish to see in the world. I've heard it mocked (because of its source) and I've heard it held up as profound --- and, especially after the events, here in the US as well as globally, over the past week or so, I'm settling more on the side of it being profound.

Imagine with me, if we would take the "golden rule" and instead of reversing it into a karmic warning about not behaving badly toward others, we would apply it literally. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's a little different. That takes me from being a generally polite person who uses her turn signal, doesn't cut in lines, and has a reasonable idea of what she wants when it's her turn to order, to actually having to love others - even (and especially) when they're not being particularly lovable.

Because that's how I would like to be treated. On a selfish human level, I want to be loved no matter what. Even when I'm tired. discouraged. cranky. depressed. sick. unreasonable. I still want to be loved. And that's what Jesus does - how He captivated me to begin with. By loving me without cause. And then because in His infinite grace He loved me without asking for anything from me first, I couldn't help but love Him back.

And this is what He asks of me now: to love others as He has loved me. Without a desire for reward or return or commendation - just love. Even when that love is countered with selfishness and hatred and being taken advantage of - just love. Stand tall and bright, lit from within by a Love that cannot be quenched by all of the hatred the World throws at Him --- and in displaying the Better Way, you have become a redeeming step toward a return to His perfect Creation, the change that He wishes to see in a Fallen World.

How can you bring Love to a hate-filled world, right now, right where you are?

6 comments:

Linda@Creekside said...

Don't you love how He cherishes us ... even {and especially!} when we feel so unlovable?

Thank you for these words tonight!

Jen @ Growing in Faith said...

I wear a ring around my finger with this quote on it, to always remind me that change starts with one person. One action. And those things ripple out in unexpected ways.

Kate said...

Keep on keepin' on, sister! Such truths here .. May the God of Love help us to reflect His love when it's easy and especially when it's hard.

Missing Mikayla said...

I love this! Love is truly the only way to change the world, and hallelujah God is ready to fill us up and send us out to a world so in need of His love.

Janel Andrews said...

Sarah Jo!!! So good to see your post here!
Oh How I need this reminder to love how I long to be loved. Its so hard sometimes for me to remember that the person who seems to be getting on my last nerve is someone that Our dear Lord died to save and He loves fiercely. HOw little my own love it, yet by grace, He gives me HIs love. thank you dearest one. Thank you for this reminder...and for the quote to BE the change we want to see in the world. its so easy to talk...what am I going to DO!!

Summer Floyd said...

this is the truth that changes everything and it is oh so hard to do. To love when hated. Its so hard for even the Christian to do. Especially today in our culture. But you're right. It is like the butterfly finally emerging after her battle to get her wings out. The battle making her wings strong enough to be able to fly out. that love is a battle and only God can place it within you.