Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 16th: an ordinary day


If we had a Burch Family Motto, it would be "No ordinary days." Because there aren't any ordinary days - it's all in how you look at it. So when I flipped the page on my perpetual calendar this morning and saw this, I immediately took it as a yearly one-day photography challenge. Because I will seize any excuse for a photography project, and I haven't done one in awhile, anyway.


Because this August 16th happened to be a Saturday, and I have strong feelings about Saturdays, after a sensible breakfast of oatmeal (for Brooklyn) and quiche (for me), we went to Dempsey Bakery to see if we could beat the mad rush for cinnamon rolls. We did - they also still had apple fritters, so that's breakfast tomorrow (for me. Brooklyn does not have a sweet tooth, except for fruit).


While we were in that part of town, we ventured into Argenta Bead Company for a pink silk ribbon. I am not a huge Keeper of Mementos (if it's something that can still be used, it seems wasteful to hoard it, and if it's not, then why are we keeping it, again?) but I did think that at some later point Brooklyn might appreciate having the cards that were given to her during her first few years of life - and if she doesn't, then they're hers to do with as she pleases and my feelings won't be hurt. I found a box that I already had to put it all in (I just need to find a home for my thread now...), then went on a grand hunt to gather a few things from the various places they'd been stashed - Valentine cards, her first birthday cards, the little footprinted tag that was on her hospital bassinet, and the tiny striped hat they put on her at the hospital.



Brooklyn spent the rest of the morning Scattering (which is pretty typical) and "feeding" me a toy cupcake. She also brought me a block with a B and a bear on it, so we quested things that began with B (like a ball, a book, and a toy blueberry). She contributed the blueberry, as well as a blue toy elephant.


I made lunch while she napped. A rummage through the fridge and cabinets turned up a little uncooked pasta, not-enough-cream-to-make-another quiche, and some Parmesan cheese buried in a drawer (why do I even use the drawers? I always forget about what's in them...) which came together quite nicely to make some amply alfredo-sauced penne (my sauce-to-noodle ratio was a bit off, in a good way).



After an hour, Brooklyn woke up extremely offended. We sat on the balcony and had a snack, then she played until she had a meltdown because I told her to leave Adam's books alone - so we tried Nap Mark Two. 


That lasted an hour and a half, and she woke up much happier, and I was able to spend the time reading/journaling my way through Let's All Be Brave (which I'm almost finished with).



That expiration date on the battery package? They mean it. My camera batteries died (of course) midafternoon, and the only batteries I could find had an expiration of June last year. I opened them up and was greeted by the strong scent of corrosion, and opted for an adventure to Walgreens (where batteries were, happily, on sale) rather than risk further compromising my already slightly abused camera.




While there, we also got a Redbox movie and snacks, and my evening plan (now that Brooklyn's in bed) is caffeine, chocolate, George Clooney, Matt Damon, and knitting - and talking to Adam at some point. (One more week, one more week, one more week...)


I agree with The Nester - an unmade bed is more inviting...

Since part of the challenge included gratitude, here are some things from today that are going onto my 1000 Gifts list (plus a few extras):
- Brooklyn sleeping through the night
- gluten free cinnamon rolls
- a few fresh peaches from "the Russian farmer" (who did indeed sound Russian) at the farmer's market
- silly selfies (and that she gets excited about them)
- happening to have the ingredients for a single serving of alfredo penne
- sitting on the balcony, teaching Brooklyn the fine art of commentating on passing cars
- the batteries I needed, on sale (almost half off!)
- also the snacks and movie being on sale, too
- no rice thrown at dinner (that makes it an entire day passed without food being thrown!)
- 9 days and a wake-up until Adam comes home

So there was my [un]ordinary day - how was yours?

No comments: