Thursday, July 10, 2014

Quiet Moments

The weekly reckoning...
647. An enjoyable afternoon with Adam's family
648. Bopping a ball back and forth with Adam, just laughing and being silly
649. Brooklyn's utter delight at being pulled around in a wagon
650. The Fayetteville Underground having a wonderful special exhibit of work by a local handlettering artist
651. A walk with Adam and Brooklyn, to meet my parents for lunch
652. Having dry clothes to change into for a late-night movie date (there was a water war)
653. Three uninterrupted hours of just being with my Bear - more than worth the price of two tickets!
654. Being in town the weekend of my brother-and-sister-in-law's baby shower, so we could go
655. A happy drive home, with a random snack stop and a (successful!) Icee quest
656. Whole Foods' ready-to-go gluten-free piecrusts, which taste like real piecrust (I have a high standard - Grandma's is pretty hard to beat!)
657. and the quiche I made in it turning out, leftover asparagus and all
658. Another step taken toward completion of The Project I Can't Blog About Yet (so... close!)
659. Getting an appointment set up with an ob/gyn, and having my referral changed (because the first one was snitty)
660. Hobby Lobby having the supplies I needed for an impulse project - and most of them on sale!
661. Making pretty things just because I felt like it - the process was cathartic, and they looked decent once I was finished!
662. A morning cool enough to spend walking outside, on a trail
663. Microwaved scrambled eggs - Brooklyn loved them!
664. Adam patiently listening because he knew I needed to talk through some things
665. Tenth Avenue North's album The Light Meets the Dark
666. Sitting on the floor and watching the storm with Brooklyn
667. Bananagrams with Adam - we hadn't had a chance to sit down and play since I got it almost a month ago


I've been rather overwhelmed of late. The dishes keep getting away from me, it's all I can do to keep Brooklyn's chaos in check, and I don't even want to discuss laundry. There's also that bedroom that's currently a storage unit that I haven't even started on (although, I did have a great idea for colors/art - that counts for something, right?) Try as I might, I can't get into bed early (or even on time), and I wake up more tired than I was the night before.

But today, I rested. I didn't procrastinate (I've been doing too much of that lately, and it always ends in feelings of guilt) - I calmly and slowly focused on one thing at a time, and tried to make those things important. After reading an article someone posted on Facebook about how good crafting is for you (reduces stress, improves mental clarity, lifts mood) I sat down with my delicious triangle scarf while Brooklyn napped. I left my phone and computer out of reach and knitted with my eyes closed and my head leaned against the back of the couch, and tried to think of a name for my project that isn't an entire paragraph from The Hobbit (I wasn't able to come up with anything, but I enjoyed the pondering). She woke up upset because of a thunderstorm, so we spent a long while sitting in the floor together, watching the storm out the back door. I explained the science behind rain, lightning, and thunder, and we watched puddles form. After it had stopped being scary and was becoming soothing, she sat and quietly looked at books while I wrestled a lamp out of the box it's been sitting in since Mum brought it a month ago and got it put together and in its place.

The funny thing was, even though I wasn't doing any of the things that have been stressing me because they're undone, I didn't feel guilty --- and I did feel sufficiently refreshed to tackle a few of them later in the afternoon. Rest and quiet. Gifts that we've all been offered since Eden by a gracious God - and ones that I need to gratefully accept more often!


The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will trust in Him.
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us each week to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons

How long has it been since you took a quiet moment to rest?

No comments: