Saturday, July 12, 2014

Moonrise {a poem, because I am part elf}

The moon is full tonight. It's also a "super moon," so it's closer than usual. And since it was a cloudless night, I decided to sit out on our balcony and watch it rise. This is the sort of thing that comes of such pastimes...


Sun fades.
Our building casts a shadow on the treeline,
the sky darkened but still a greyish-blue.
Hush falls.

I wait.
An orange orb peeks coyly through the trees,
her passage marked by passing branches.
I watch.

Steady
she climbs, her rising draws the naked eye -
she will not harm the gazer,
ladylike.

Night falls.
Denizens arise - bats and owls
fly, on silent wings
awake.

Fireflies
rise from the grass,
each one mirrored by a rising star,
they glow.

Circlet
of light appears above the trees,
jet trails rendered paths of pixie dust -
moonglow.

I stand
in anticipation as she nears
the darkly silhouetted crest
of trees.

Behold!
She-who-shares-the-sky appears,
her glory full yet gentle -
beauty.

Jarflies
drown the city sounds,
it is only the Moon and I,
alone.

No comments: