Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Friend Indeed

This week's gifts...
710. Roadtripping to Hot Springs for an Army-funded "marriage weekend"
711. Chick-Fil-A's updated grilled chicken - an extreme improvement! (still not as good as the original stuff, but that's sadly not gluten free)
712. Gelato and an evening walk with my Bear before we picked Brooklyn up from childcare
713. A 2am drive down a winding country road - stars!
714. Adam's sacrifice in taking Brooklyn for a walk so that I could get a few more hours of sleep
715. and his supportiveness (even through exhaustion) and tireless devotion to lifting me up after I was reduced to a puddle of tears by some audible comments on my inadequacies as a wife and mother from a neighboring table at dinner
716. Church together as a family
717. Confession, forgiveness, healing, redemption, and a renewed bond
718. Adam pausing in his cooking process to measure ingredients so I could share one of his amazing recipes
719. An entire day at home with Brooklyn - she completely took apart every room she had access to, but it was still restful
720. Adam forgetting to transfer the carseat from his truck to my car, and staying for lunch since he was home and all
721. Staying up until 2am, talking, two nights in a row (completely by accident) - totally worth it!
722. Free internet (even if I do secretly suspect there's a usage limit that they conveniently don't mention)
723. A toaster oven - you can get so much more accomplished (putting away dishes, picking up the living room...) while your lunch warms up than you can with a microwave (and it tastes better)
724. Being able to make chicken in the crockpot - a necessary component of Brooklyn's next batch of baby food, cooking itself while we napped
725. A clean freezer - even if it did take an exploded soda to get me to clean it
726. Brooklyn's first few steps being to me (to some extent, it made up for a really cantankerous morning)
727. Adam's willingness to come home for lunch - and then spend most of his time helping me with household tasks so I would be able to nap when Brooklyn did
728. His late meeting being at the Armory and not on Camp Robinson - that meant that Brooklyn and I were able to leave a note in his truck to surprise him
729. Finding the Reese's that I got three days ago, then put in the freezer and forgot about


730. A friend who was willing to daytrip to Little Rock from Fayetteville, after spending entirely too much time the day before in airports with a two year old

You know how people will ask for advice or help on Facebook and then get a whole lot of not-help? "Can anyone babysit for us tomorrow night?" will bring out several people who live out-of-state that wish they could, and several more who live in town but have other plans and feel the need to say so. I think the only time that's worked for me (helpwise - I've gotten some good advice on several occasions), I was baiting someone that I already had in mind but didn't want to feel pressured by being asked directly, in case they were going to be busy.

But not Kayla (I introduced her during the blog hop last week, and she is also counting gifts, new every morning, and posting about it) - she lives in Kentucky now and we haven't seen each other in over a year and haven't hung out in over three, and she flew to Northwest Arkansas to visit family, then took a day out of her precious time there to drive to Little Rock. We got to talk and catch up a bit, she was extremely gracious about being served scrambled eggs and cinnamon toast for dinner, and she and her darling two-year-old got me started on that "storage unit" that needs to become a bedroom by January (I usually keep that door closed - it's a mark of our friendship that I trusted her enough to open it and let her see the disaster area that it is/was), and then after 6 lovely hours they headed home but left me deeply encouraged and sufficiently energized to dig down to the floor, create a bag of trash and several of donations, and organize everything to the extent that I can start moving furniture.

Words are valuable to me, but only inasmuch as they lead to action (I refused someone Adam suggested as a mentor once because we had arranged several meetings for a different reason and she had completely spaced one, then postponed several times, then forgotten what it was we were even meeting for) - that her desire to visit, and to bless, went deeper than just words, means more than she may ever know. I'm grateful that God brought us together - but also that she has chosen to stay.


The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will trust in Him.
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us each week to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons

When has someone surprised you by going against a viewpoint of jaded cynicism that you may have held?

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I'm including our visit in next week's New Every Morning post! And I was thoroughly blessed by yours.

It can be so hard to determine which friendships to pursue and which ones to let go as we grow older. I'm thankful that the LORD has brought both of us into similar seasons around the same time (and with similar experiences within those seasons!) to revive our friendship. To be able to invite myself over is also a sign of such sweet and deep friendship. ;)

Thank you for reconnecting over the past few months via blogging and Facebook. They were starting points to an ever-deepening friendship that I appreciate more with each passing day. Hugs to you, Brooklyn, and that sweet Sprout. High five to Adam. ;)