Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sweet


Mommy fashion! Can I just say (not that I quite need them yet, but it won't be much longer...) that I really intensely dislike maternity clothes? Very little of them look like anything I would normally wear - but an exception to my dislike is Liz Lange maternity tank tops from Target. They're comfortable and not unattractive (to the extent that I just kept wearing the ones I had even after I had Brooklyn) and stretchy-all-over so they don't look like maternity/nursing wear. I've also been loving the skirt my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday - a slinky stretchy delight with a yoga-pant waistband, from The Mustache.


And the scarf. Let me tell you about that scarf. It's a nursing scarf from Itzy Ritzy, and when Terra Tots posted a photo of them I immediately wanted one - I love cute, soft scarves (they won't break like a necklace will if pulled on, and they can eke out a meager clothing selection when you get to the point of only having three shirts that still fit but you'd rather no one noticed that) and I especially loved the concept that this one doubled as a nursing cover (that also covers your back - which I think should go without saying, but is actually so unheard of that sometimes I wonder if actual moms have anything to do with the design of things), simply by unlooping it and dropping one side over your shoulder. I tested it with Brooklyn on a car trip and it worked beautifully. Also the tag says "You're doing a great job" on the back. Love! Definitely not one I'll be trimming off.

Because it's pretty and functional and multi-purpose (another thing that I love about it is that it's not obviously a nursing cover) and includes positive affirmation and came from a local business, I've already gotten one for a first-time mama-to-be that I know. I may do a giveaway here later, too... because really. It's a wonderful piece.


This morning I put together a grocery list and Brooklyn and I 'ventured to Whole Foods in quest of the ingredients necessary to try a scone recipe from a vegan/gluten free cookbook I was given (I so don't cook that besides the more unique ingredients, like quinoa flour, I also needed basics like baking powder...) We were able to find everything we needed, and I had fun making them (except that my bowl seemed to be specifically designed to fling its contents all over the kitchen as soon as I turned on the mixer...)


Despite losing at least a tablespoon of sugar in the blending process, and overshooting the applesauce mark (because I was pouring it into the measuring cup over the bowl and it sort of all glopped out at once there toward the end...) the maple-glazed goodness turned out quite, well, good.



Between checking on my progress, Brooklyn entertained herself by practicing her acrobatics: getting an ink pad that should have been out of reach (I didn't catch her until she already had it - all over her hands and arms and legs - so I have no idea how she managed it) but after cleaning her up, turning her loose again, and later catching her creatively trying to get something off the bookshelf, it was less surprising that she was able to get the ink pad. (At some point she also took my wallet out of my purse, but I didn't realize that until we were in line to check out at Kroger later...) She was really proud of herself for both feats, and I didn't really have the heart to be mad at her. At least nothing was permanently damaged (walls, carpets, shelves, or more importantly, her).


Adam's mom brought a lovely bouquet of tiny roses when they came down for Brooklyn's birthday party, and I decided to dry one (I have a dried yellow rose, still, from my 16th birthday, and a pink one from when Brooklyn was born). For lack of a better method, I pinned it to our bulletin board. We visited Fayetteville this past weekend, and between leaving the thermostat at a warmer setting than it would have been with us here and the flower being directly under an air vent, it was perfectly dried when we got home. It's lovely that flowers can be preserved - smell and all!


I couldn't resist going in Hand Held since we were there (after all, it may be my last chance to say goodbye to her old location before she moves down the street!) and left with two delicious balls of Manos Fino - lovely silk/merino laceweight. The colors are prettier in person... it's completely distracted me from the skirt I'm working on - and I don't have a problem with that at all. I think when this is finished, it will need a bee-ish name...

Bees and flowers and scones, shopping local and a sweet-and-brave girl... next on my list is to read Tolkien's translation of Beowulf --- after I finish writing thank you notes.

Please tell me my child is not the only one who's been caught mid-dangerous-antic... and, what are some words that come to mind when you think of bees and honey?

No comments: