Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Shindiggin'


Birthday party success! (I guess - everyone seemed to have an enjoyable time, and Brooklyn was a very brave little girl and managed not to be overwhelmed with all the goings-on, so I'm going to call it a success.)


Adam's parents came down on Friday, and took us to the zoo. We hadn't been yet - it's a really good (I say that as someone who has visited quite a few and has many fond childhood memories centered around zoos) and since they generously got us a membership, we plan on returning often!


Afterwards we took them to Big Orange, one of our favorite local places - they have great burgers, and get gluten-free buns from the local allergy-friendly bakery. We also learned something: tired babies are much more patient when sitting outside.


(Cake also from Dempsey Bakery, enjoyed by gluten-free and gluten-eaters alike!) She wasn't really sure what to think about having everyone sing to her, but she thought that blowing out the candle was hilarious (maybe next year she can actually help with that, instead of just observing...) And she was offended by the icing, and positively refused to taste more than an initial bite.



There were lots and lots of pictures taken, and Brooklyn was (and still is) very excited about All The Things. I stashed about half of them to be rotated in once the other things lose their luster, but what was left out has been integrated into her Scattering routine, with great relish.


I got a new box of thank-you notes for the occasion (isn't the confetti cute? It's a great motivator, too), and I've been working my way through the little stack of envelopes I saved. I had a new idea this time - list gifts on the envelope of the card that came with them. Then I know who they're from, I can toss the envelope once the note is written thereby getting a wonderful sense of accomplishment, and if I lose one then it's only one and not a master list (not that I've done anything like ever...)


A slightly Calvin after-party family photo, but fairly accurate for us - we're none of us really the matching-outfits barefoot-on-the-beach type. I'm already looking forward to planning a party next year - even if there will be four of us to wrangle by that point!

I made an effort to embrace The Nester's motto of "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful" this past weekend - it certainly helped keep my stress level down, and I think made the time more enjoyable for everyone involved. For more of her wisdom and inspiration, please check back on Friday!

No comments: