Thursday, June 12, 2014

Messenger...

It's Five Minute Friday! An internet-wide blogging flashmob, writing for five minutes flat (no stopping, no editing!) on a prompt provided by the lovely Lisa-Jo, then linking up and sharing a little comment love. For more details, more posts, and/or to join in, head over here!


Messenger bags are my very favorite - I own several, one purchased and several of my own design. I like them because I am a Lugger of Stuff and even a large purse doesn't have the capacity I need (or the organization - messenger bags usually have dividers and pockets that girly-bags don't). When I arrive as a guest and the host shows me where I can put my bag, I politely decline - my knitting, a notebook, at least one book book, a snack, pens, my camera, my phone, my wallet, (a bunch of baby-related things, now) and sundry other items are all neatly packed into it, and I have no intention of letting it get out of reach. If I don't need something out of it, someone else may. Adam asked me at church a few weeks ago if I had a Sharpie and I looked at him like he was crazy --- then produced a double ended fine/super fine tip Sharpie from an inner pocket. Of course I have a Sharpie.

So, to me, a messenger is "someone who carries a lot of baggage." Not necessarily in a bad way - it may be Good News that they are compelled from within to share, but it brings a lot of things with it. Excitement, fear, gratitude, insecurity, joy... every message bears a risk. Will people misunderstand, and the messenger never be given a chance to explain? Will people understand perfectly but still choose to reject it? Is it really as important as the messenger believes that it is? What if the messenger somehow stands as a stumbling block in the way of their own message, so that people take one look at them and reject what they say because of who they are?

But it's important to put everything in the right pocket - to keep friends who'll affirm when you're right and gently correct you when you're wrong close to the front, to neatly pack in the reasons you believe your message is worth your own or anyone else's while (even if only for your own reference, when you are tempted to doubt), and to stuff all of your doubts and fears into that one pocket with the hole in bottom, letting them tumble out unheeded as you carry on with your mission, feeling lighter as you go.

Everyone is a messenger of some sort - what baggage do you carry?

9 comments:

Linda@Creekside said...

I love how you've brought your bag into the conversation! Just too cool ... and so good to meet you this evening!

Asheritah said...

I think a messenger bag is a great picture of how I try to compartmentalize my life. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. But it's always a worthwhile endeavor!

Karrilee Aggett said...

OH MY STARS... I am a Lugger of Stuff too!!! I am SO GLAD you went with it! This is so great, my friend!

Sarah Knepper said...

We all carry a message but the question is, will we be brave enough to show others what's in the bag? Love this post!

Karen Brown said...

What a great image...a messenger bag. I love this line:
"and to stuff all of your doubts and fears into that one pocket with the hole in bottom, letting them tumble out unheeded as you carry on with your mission, feeling lighter as you go." Beautiful!

BARBIE said...

I really enjoyed this post! I carry around a lot of my own stuff these days. Have a blessed weekend.

Abby Edwards said...

So challenging to think if I stand in my own way of the message God's given me.

Holly Barrett said...

I immediately thought of messenger bags too but couldn't figure out how to work them into my post! You did a great job! Appreciate your encouragement to use the bag to carry the messages we've been given. Enjoyed your post!

myawesomeoliveshoots.com said...

All of the sudden I need a messenger bag! I had never heard of them before! Such a delightful post, I LOVE your perspective! Stopping by via FMF, bless you writing sister in Christ,

Cindy