Sunday, June 1, 2014

First Things First: May/June 2014

I know people who post their goals at regular intervals, and others who write about what they learned each month... this is kind of a combination of the two. It's a monthly Sabbath of sorts, reevaluating current goals and projects in light of building God's kingdom instead of my own - and for the sake of consistency and thoroughness, I'm dividing it into three categories:

[Soul]

Right. So, one of last month's goals was to make a daily quiet time a priority.  I'm currently a week behind on the If : Equip study, and I'm therefore forced to admit that that obviously didn't happen. I was out of town for half the month,  and I've been oddly exhausted since I got back - but really,  it's 15 minutes a day and I don't have a good reason for not doing it. It's going back on the list for this month (and every month, for that matter, but eventually I'd like for it to become a habit...)


I did at least get last month's book read (more on that in a moment), and this month's book is Rhinestone Jesus by Kristen Welch. I've been following her blog for awhile, and I was excited to win a copy of her book from another blogger. It's Kristen's story of being challenged to leave her safe, shiny faith behind and "yes" to something braver and messier, but also more beautiful - and her challenge to others to do the same. I skimmed through it quickly and I'm (sort of) looking forward to reading it more slowly and journalling through it ("sort of" because I suspect it will be one of those world-rocking books).

[Family]

Because Adam was gone for most of the month, and I was gone for part of it, the daily tasks did not always get done - but they got done when it mattered, I think. This month I'd like to try to establish them as a habit by being more consistent, though.

I was also able to take and post more pictures, and I wrote more letters (that weren't thank you notes or monthly updates). I'll have a chance to really practice community (and grace) here in a few weeks, because we'll have my parents, my mum's parents, my dad's parents, and Adam's parents all here in our apartment (which is certainly big enough for our family, but is seeming smaller and smaller as the day that it will have 10 adults poked into it approaches) for Brooklyn's birthday. The most people I've ever had over at once is a couple, and that not often - so this will stretch my hostessing abilities (and possibly my patience, since all that this group has in common is Brooklyn, who gets overstimulated fairly easily).

Since we're on the topic of grace and patience and things-that-are-not-our-gifts, something that I would like to start doing more is intentionally praying - both alone, and outloud with Brooklyn (nothing helps you overcome awkwardness like doing it for a baby who isn't really paying attention and may or may not have any idea what you're saying), and with Adam.

[Home]


The Nesting Place. The Nesting Place was wonderful, and I highly recommend it. It's a beautiful blend of her own story, which is a mixture of sad and sweet, and of validating ideas that gave credence to some of the crazy things I think of (like calling our mismatched white chairs around our kitchen a "collection"). It's going on the Inspiring Shelf, between Jonathan Adler and Photojojo. Hopefully I'll be talking more about the book, and "It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful" and the Nester on here soon.


I got a little behind on knitting the sky while we were out of town, but I managed to get caught back up in time (you can find weather forecasts easily enough - finding past weather data is a smidge more difficult...) I'm almost out of the darker grey - which isn't the color that I necessarily expected to use up first.


Eft, complete! I finished it up mid-month, but we weren't able to take pictures until yesterday because Adam was both busy and because he needed his camera for work. We had a lot of fun taking pictures between rain showers on an overgrown four wheeler trail, and I've very pleased with how it turned out. She should be able to wear it for awhile.


Now I'm working on a linen skirt for myself. I'd really like to finish it this month - not so much to get the pattern up, although I'd definitely like that, but so that I can wear it. I love linen skirts...
_______________

- Really. Make a daily quiet time a priority
- Develop a habit of completing each day's task (I should also probably add "make the bed" to the daily list)
- Read Rhinestone Jesus and journal through it
- Pray intentionally about community and hospitality (both alone, and with Adam). And praying outloud with Brooklyn more, in general
- Finish skirt and publish pattern

How often do you stop to (prayerfully) reevaluate your goals and projects? What are your reasonable goals for this month?

1 comment:

Karrilee Aggett said...

I love this, Sarah Jo!

I play along with the What I Learned link up each month - and that is usually a fun way to look back over the month, but your post here is much more intentional in goal setting and looking back to evaluate what you did well and what needs more work/attention! (I am with ya on being a few days behind on If:Equip... Grace to us both, my friend!)

Off to write my post... and do my If devotions outside in the sun!