Thursday, May 29, 2014

Undone and Remade

This week's gifts...
521. A mailbox full of Happy Mail, including a sweet Mother's Day card from Carolyn
522. Grace. Always grace.
523. Adam sacrificing sleep so that we could spend time together
524. Watching an entire movie, alone, in one sitting, while knitting - it was like a day off for my introverted psyche!
525. Successfully convincing Brooklyn that we should sleep past 6:30am
526. Sharing her escapades over the phone with Adam as he drove home from Fort Smith - redeeming the time!
527. A whole day all together at home
528. Napping while Brooklyn napped and Adam slept in - 'cause he got home late last night
529. Catching up on "knit the sky" while watching The Hobbit part 2 with Adam's arm around me
530. That the cup of mixed berries I had forgotten about in the fridge hadn't gone bad by the time I remembered them
531. Getting to meet Adam for lunch (and being able to find clothes fit to leave the apartment in, since most of mine were soggy in the washer when he texted...)
532. Brooklyn wanting to have music playing while she reads - so cute!
533. Adam getting half of Monday off
534. then being willing to spend it outside, warmly walking on a trail
535. Brooklyn's delight over shaved ice, eaten while sitting backwards in the carseat (which is oddly magical)
536. A covered balcony that's just deep enough to keep my dry if I sit on it to watch the rain


Over the weekend, I made really good progress on the skirt I'm designing. Waistband completed, almost 4 inches into the skirt, I had a design epiphany. That needed to have been implemented immediately after the waistband, 24 rounds - over 5000 stitches - prior. One thing I love about knitting (over crochet) is that it is possible to unravel stitches downward for as many rows as you feel comfortable in order to make minor alterations/correct mistakes. So great is my distaste for pulling out that I have been known to perform ridiculous feats of "dropping down" in order to avoid it. However, this time, I had no choice. I observed a moment of silence for my lost knitting, gently extracted my needles, gathered the string (and my courage) and pulled. And I kept pulling until I was back to the waistband, ready to start fresh.

As painful as it was, made worse by my limited knitting time and knowing how much work it would take to gain back what I'd lost, it also reminded me of another thing I love about knitting (over sewing) - yarn can be unravelled, and reused, and no one will ever know. You can make a mistake and notice a few stitches later and "tink" back to it - or you can take something that was knitted 50 years ago and reduce it back to a ball of yarn, slightly kinky but ready to be made into something new.

I feel like that's what God's doing with me, in making me into a new creation. Like I'm being unravelled from a holey mistake-riddled garter stitch beginner scarf and reknitted into something beautiful and useful, like a blanket to comfort a child that's experienced trauma or the shelter animal equivalent, or a preemie hat or a prayer shawl or something of that sort. The pulling out can be unpleasant at times, and there are knots and snags and my own foolish attempts to not be unravelled, but the reknitting is worth it!

So I'm grateful that my project can be undone and remade - because while it takes courage to admit to a mistake (and sometimes it takes more to fix it) it also reminds me of grace and redemption, and the Love that is not content to leave me, full of holes, lying useless at the bottom of a box in the attic to be eaten up by moths and nested in by mice, but is with gentle insistence making me into something beautiful and new.
_______________

538. Brooklyn embracing my system of marking the cabinets that she's allowed to open - she opens them just because she can, and (for the most part) leaves the others alone
539. A break in the clouds so that we could go on a grocery run without getting wet
540. and Adam having an hour between tasks at work so that he could come with us
541. Motivation mustered to do some cleaning/tidying


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will trust in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us each week to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons



How can you humbly accept being undone, and prayerfully rejoice in the remaking in your daily life?

1 comment:

Kayla said...

This is SO a Sarah Jo post. Totally your voice. :) I love reading "you" posts.