Monday, May 19, 2014

Art in Your Life - and an Invitation to Community


Perched alone in a quiet place, wholly absorbed in the creation of something, there are many things that I could call myself. A knitter. A writer - of prose, and of love notes. A photographer. A student - until Brooklyn comes to get in my lap and take my pen, requesting in her wordless way that I come play with her. Perhaps even a crafter --- but Artist is not a title I've been eager to claim as an adult (as a child I was less shy and told my mother I was "artic" - defined as "someone who makes art").


After all, I can't draw or paint. Design sketches are the bane of my pattern-writing existence, and part of the reason that I self-publish. But then I was invited to sit on a figurative bench with a group of other ladies, and over cups of coffee and the internet, I began to realize that, made in the image of our Creator, we are all artists - whether we wield a brush, a pen, a needle, a camera, a spoon, a guitar pick, a bit of wire, a length of cloth, a sheet of paper... any medium can be used to glorify and worship our God. I'm so grateful to the (in)courager community group that helped me see that. And I'm amazed that I've been allowed the opportunity of co-leading a group with Karrilee and Rebekah this session - Art in Your Life: Adding Beauty as Co-Creators with Christ.


So maybe you, too, are a closet artist. Or maybe you're just looking for a community that will meet you where you are - there's a group for that, too! We meet on Facebook for 6 weeks per session, so you can be anywhere in the world and invest as much or as little as your schedule allows. Registration opens today for over 70 groups - you'll find book clubs, Bible studies, groups for every season of a woman's life from singleness to marriage and/or kids (or not) to empty nesting, for professionals and creatives, for students and educators... even if you're holding a hurt that you think no one else shares, or that you've never shared with anyone, whoever you are, wherever you're at, there's a group for you! See the full list and sign up here - each group is limited to 30 members, so quick, click, go!

What area in your life is lacking encouragement and community?

3 comments:

Holly Barrett said...

Love this group idea! What a wonderful encouragement to artists, whether they feel like one or not!

BARBIE said...

I'm looking forward to getting to know you through the group. Excited!

Shelley said...

I think this is a wonderful idea! Sarah it has been a joy to watch You grow into such a fine Godly woman!