Thursday, April 17, 2014

Walk It Out

This week's list...
398. A new book and time to sit in the car while Brooklyn napped and read it
399. Ebooks and audiobooks to check out through the Fayetteville Public Library's website since I don't have a library card here yet
400! Adam having sick days and it being a slow day at work so that he could come home and rest (The Bug lingers on...)
401. Fresh strawberries
402. Playing drums on the bookshelf - one drumstick for Brooklyn, and one for me :)
403. Watching Brooklyn slowly and carefully sit back down after pulling herself up on something
404. French toast and bacon for breakfast - it's been awhile!
405. A whole weekend with Adam off - that also hasn't happened in awhile
406. Naps for all (if not all at the same time)
407. Finally finding a good local coffee shop


I love the concept of running a marathon (or a half) in order to raise funds and awareness about a worthy cause. A couple of years ago, I set out to train for one (anyone who knows me well knows what a task that would be) and found out that no amount of heart-felt support of the cause will overcome an inability to work through the way my chest tightens and my lungs begin to burn once I set a pace above a light jog. The need for air supersedes the need to raise awareness fairly quickly, and I wheeze to a inexorable halt.

But during announcements a few Sunday mornings ago, they mentioned putting together a church team for "Walk for the Waiting." My ears perked at the word walk, and I headed over to the information table after the service. I discovered that funds raised go to three Arkansas orphan care organizations (The Call, Immerse Arkansas, and Project Zero), toward providing "a family and a future for every child," and that it really is a walk (not one of those cleverly disguised "fun run" things, like making it rhyme and calling it fun makes it more possible and less painful, somehow).

Still (if you know me) then you know that I only advocate for things that I really believe in --- and I really believe in this. Why do I want to walk? For gratitude. Too often, I take the fact that I am part of a family (multiple families, actually: a born-to family, a married-into family, and a church family) utterly and completely for granted.
So I'm grateful that there are organizations and individuals who are not only willing but passionate about demonstrating our Father's love by loving the least of these.
I'm grateful that God has provided me with a loving and supportive husband who takes care of both me and Brooklyn.
I'm grateful that we have Brooklyn, and that God sustains us as we try to raise her to His glory.
I'm grateful for my own adoption - the one that every Christian receives, as we're unworthily called the sons and daughters of our heavenly Father.
And I'm grateful for an opportunity to be the sent feet of Christ in a literal sense, going an extra mile on a Saturday morning so that His little ones can experience Him through His followers.

So on Saturday the 26th, we're walking as a family. We've set a collective goal of $500 (Adam's page, and mine) and if this is a cause that tugs at your heart, we (and our team!) would appreciate your support -through prayer, through sharing about the Walk and raising awareness about the need for foster families in Arkansas, or through donating (any amount helps!)
_______________

409. Brooklyn standing up in her crib and giving me a kiss when I went to get her from her nap
410. The calming reassurance of God's presence in the patter of life-giving raindrops
411. Our perfectly, slouchily comfortable couch, bought from a friend and thoroughly enjoyed
412. A chilly day on which to try out a made-over jacket, and the assurance that I'll be back to short sleeves and skirts in a few days
413. Meeting Adam for lunch - a pleasant midweek treat! and Brooklyn enjoyed getting to hold his hat for him
414. Brooklyn's experiments in the appropriate timing of raspberry blowing and sticking out her tongue, in order to achieve the greatest effect, also perfecting the adorable face to go with it
415. A homemade meal, comprised of multiple components, eaten all together and at the proper temperature while Adam played with Brooklyn (usually, I eat progressively, at 20-60 minutes intervals... the eggs first, the bacon reheated and reheated and reheated and finally eaten, the biscuits unenjoyably cold and washed down with a tepid drink)
416. Warm sunshine dappled through the spinning leaves of a birch tree
417. Successfully getting myself and Brooklyn packed for a four-day weekend
418. The unexpected delight of a simple how-to craft video (that used only supplies that I happened to already have!)


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us in a weekly link-up to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and add your own below (please stay relevant to the topic when linking up!) and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons

What gifts have surprised you this past week?


1 comment:

Kayla said...

That is an awesome cause. :)

We have learned that in our time of waiting to adopt, God has still called us to support those who are already there. We don't just wait for our turn; we "hustle while we wait."

I love that you found something {else} to get behind and support. This is an excellent exercise in gratitude (pun only somewhat intended). ;)