Thursday, April 10, 2014

Joy Warrior

The weekly reckoning...
378. Rice Chex
379. That stomach bugs usually only last for one day
380. That Adam made a big, delicious, reheatable pan of his amazing spaghetti before either of us got sick
381. Feeling like going on a dire-needs grocery run
382. Healing sunshine streaming in the window
383. The way Brooklyn thinks that dogs are hilarious - big and small, alike
384. People-watching at the mall
385. A spontaneous movie night with Adam
386. Getting Brooklyn and I up, ready, and headed to church in twenty minutes' time (a baby miracle!)
387. An afternoon of rest
388. Ten adorably grumpy cedar waxwings in the tree by our window
389. Discussing the End It Project with Adam
390. Grocery shopping with Brooklyn - she so delights in sitting in the cart and looking after everything I put in
391. Peculiar and inexplicable knitting progress


Persistently writing down gifts... sometimes three a day, sometimes missing a day because my vision is clouded by selfishness and then repentantly going back later and catching up, sometimes seven a day when I suspect ahead of time that it may be a difficult week to keep my focus in the proper place. The proper place... what is the proper place?

"...you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you."
[John 16:22]

During His Last Supper with His disciples, just before His crucifixion, Christ reminds His disciples of the eternal perspective - where He's going, and where they will follow Him to. And He is where my joy must be found. If I hang my happiness on temporal things, they will crumble (or be kicked to bits by a malicious Enemy). So I must be a "joy warrior" - for our strength is found wherever our joy is - and it is definitely a daily battle to cling tight to joy. I must hold out hope even as I hold out my hands, open in surrender, and sing a song of grateful praise that never stops, at all. I must persistently and consistently keep wrenching my focus and my trust away from crumbling sand castles and instead center my joy, and find my strength, in the Rock. "No one will take your joy from you" because I've already given it away - to Him, and no one can ever take anything from Him, for He is Sovereign King above all.

393. Storm-circling clouds with a sunny spot in the center - beautiful!
394. Two hours' talking and tea with Kristin and Heath
395. Three sets of sheets for Brooklyn's bed, and a washer and dryer for when that's not enough to get us through a week
396. Adam asking me "in" for a date night, then choosing a movie he knew I'd like and making dinner
397. Brooklyn's sheer delight at holding a pine cone on our walk


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us in a weekly link-up to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and add your own below (please stay relevant to the topic when linking up!) and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Dolly [at] A Woman at Home
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons

Where are you tempted to entrust your joy to a source that's less than Jesus?


No comments: