Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hunger

The weekly reckoning...
419. Getting to knit in the car
420. Coconut oil - extraordinary useful stuff!
421. Going to bed early and knowing that it wouldn't offend our hosts (aka, my parents)
422. An afternoon movie date with Adam - just us two!
423. Brooklyn obediently leaving the fireplace alone when I told her to...
424. ...and adorably going to play her xylophone, instead
425. Walking around the Farmer's Market with Adam and Brooklyn and my parents, getting coffee and flowers and reveling in a beautiful morning
426. Tulips and all of the gorgeous colors they come in (like orange with pink streaks, like a sunset)
427. Brooklyn smiling and laughing as she walked all over my in-love's house, holding Grandma Sandy's fingers
428. Getting to enjoy a 4-generation Easter lunch
429. Silly sideview mirror selfies with Brooklyn
430. A peaceful trip home with good conversation
431. Grocery shopping with Brooklyn, who spreads joy wherever she goes
432. Napping myself during her extra-long morning nap
433. Successfully getting the kitchen clean - that and the groceries were my to-do list for the day
434. Breakfast and a quiet time, together, two mornings in a row - a good way to start my day
435. Adam coming home at the end of a stressful day and making an amazing meal for us
436. Energy and motivation to get all of the laundry done and put away


It seems like "not being hungry" is a fairly common middle-class American item to add to an over-the-meal blessing. And it's not like that is a bad thing - there are people all over the world (and the city I live in) that haven't eaten in awhile and don't know when they will again, and God's continued, daily provision is definitely a blessing.

But food and I have an interesting relationship. It's just not an area that I struggle with (don't worry, I have plenty of others to make up for it) - I'm not tempted to overeat, nor do I refuse to eat in order to maintain a specific figure. I'd like for it to taste good, but really that's where my interest in eating ends (that may also partially explain my disinterest in cooking). I prefer to focus on who I'm having dinner with than what I'm having for dinner.

However, since having Brooklyn (and awhile before), I've been a food source for two - which has forced me to think about food and eating entirely more than I would prefer. Despite slowly and steadily increasing how much I eat, and thinking carefully about what I eat, we've been having monthly weight checks at the pediatrician and Brooklyn's been holding steady at the lower end of the chart (and it's clearly a production issue, not something wrong on Brooklyn's end). This past week, she had lost 9 ounces... I shouldn't have been surprised, since I didn't eat for a few days because of The Bug and then kind of fell off the eating-every-time-she-does wagon that I'd been on (when you're gluten free and dairy free and you eat every two hours, you end up having the same things over. and over. and over), but when the pediatrician set us an appointment three weeks out to see if she'd gained it back, I kind of panicked. I mentally worked out a diet high in protein, healthy fat, vitamins, water, nursing mama's tea, and lactation cookies (oh, and low stress, but clearly I had already blown that one) and resigned myself to being miserable for the forseeable future (it would really help if she was a little more interested in solid food).

But this morning? I woke up hungry. I haven't actually been hungry in months, and almost didn't recognize the sensation. Breakfast was a delight, and I relished the lunch I had shortly thereafter - it was unbelievably refreshing and encouraging, gave me hope that maybe these monthly weight checks will eventually end, and was definitely an answer to prayer. I don't know why it took this long - maybe God was waiting for me to admit that I was desperate and ask others for prayer, instead of asking Him if He wouldn't just fix everything quietly - after all, He doesn't get glory that way... but I do know that His timing is always perfect, that prayer works, and that this is definitely a gift!
_______________

438. Finding a Good brand of dishwashing liquid completely by happenstance, right before we ran out
439. Time to sit down and write a few posts ahead, without feeling guilty that I'm ignoring Adam or should be doing something else (and that we have friends here for him to go have coffee with)


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Just grab a journal or notebook (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us in a weekly link-up to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts and add your own below (please stay relevant to the topic when linking up!) and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other:
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned

All who've been praying, thank you and please keep it up!


No comments: