Thursday, March 6, 2014

We All Fall Down

This week's gifts...
274. Adam home unexpectedly early
275. The companies that do have ethical labor practices
276. Harmony in the setting-up of a budget
277. A perfect Five Minute Friday prompt
278. Successful felting of Deadline Project #2 (I prayed over it before committing it to the washer...)
279. No more deadline projects!
280. A decent cup of coffee, from Onyx Coffee Lab in Fayetteville
281. Plumb's "Blink" album
282. A unified use for every seemingly unrelated thing that I'm naturally good at
283. A new project, with a goal but no deadline, that should keep my busy for at least the next 20 years
284. Being iced/snowed in at home
285. Adam having a four-wheel-drive vehicle to get to work in
286. Prayer, answered before it was asked
287. A husband who sweetly cleaned the snow and ice off my car, in case I would want to go anywhere
288. An extra ice scraper to give to someone who needed it in the moment
289. How much Brooklyn loves waiting in line


Leave me alone for long enough, and I'll get on a roll. One thought will lead to another, the same song will keep repeating, and before I know what happened it'll be eight hours later and I'll have knitted a tunic and concluded (by means of logic and color) that South is most assuredly Up (that is an actual example of something that happened...)

But the same thing happens in my daily life... I get in a rhythm and become (I think) self-sustaining. Everything happens the same way each day - even if there's a little variation, it's planned. And the longer I stay that way, the smaller God becomes in the back of my mind. I become a master of organization who keeps my life running smoothly and as I would have it go. I.

Well, I need to be stopped. If I haven't been going very long, the suggestion of a Sabbath will at least slow me down - but sometimes it requires a brick wall, that I run into pretty hard, to knock me off my neatly-laid path, a yellow-brick road that leads to my own kingdom, not to His. That's what Lent was this year - the full weight of 40+ days, planted solidly in the midst of my headlong rush. A call to stop - to think - to renew my dependence on Him, a figurative fast in the wilderness, grateful that He withstood what I cannot. And that's why I'm grateful for those yearly observances that mess up the middle of my week and go on to last a month or more - stony Sabbaths that stand obstinately in my way and refuse to be gone around or tunneled under, until I've stopped and drunk the Living Water that springs from the rock.

So, from now until Easter, I'm giving up staying-up-late. Every night, Brooklyn goes to bed at 7:30, Adam goes to bed between 9 and 10... and I stay up until 11 or 12, flurried with a mostly self-imposed list of things that must be done. Except that they don't get done - and then I'm stressed, on top of being tired. It will be an adjustment, going to bed when Adam does --- I'll probably relish it the first week and resent it the second, and I-don't-know-what after that. Hopefully, it will teach me to better steward the time that I have and trust God to provide me with the time that I actually need - and hopefully I will not only rest, but I'll also rest in Him.

291. Doing a rather ungraceful dance on a patch of black ice after putting Brooklyn in the car
292. Mid-week lunch date with Adam
293. Internet when I needed it (but none before or after)
294. Found books for Brooklyn from Adam's work


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Grab a notebook or journal (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us in a weekly link-up to encourage each other by sharing all of the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts, add your own below (please stay relevant to the topic when linking up!) and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Please check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other!
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Dolly [at] A Woman at Home

What are you in the middle of that you may need to rest from?


1 comment:

Kelsey Ferguson said...

Lent hit me like a brick wall this year, too. I was going and planning and running so far ahead of God. I can already feel us starting to align to our proper places: me humbly on the ground and Him above, ruler of my heart.

Hopefully the time change will help with going to bed early. :)