Thursday, January 9, 2014

Line Upon Line

The weekly accumulation of gifts...
109. Recovery, even slowly.
110. The car compass my grandma gave me.
111. Cell phone plans with unlimited texts and minutes.
112. A baby who enjoys snuggling.
113. Malls with parking decks, for icky weather outings.
114. Baby-wearing contraptions (judging from the looks I've gotten, no one in Little Rock wears their baby...)
115. Losing track of time while visiting with Heath and Kristin.
116. Heated cars and a heated apartment.
117. A three hour afternoon nap for Brooklyn.
118. That we get to keep her pediatrician, instead of being forced to see a doctor on the Air Force base.
119. Freedom to stay home with her on extra-cold days.
120. A microwave for when I forget to set the butter out to soften.
121. Slow but steady pattern sales.
122. Sunshine and a black car interior.
123. Refrigeration and efficient transit that allow me access to fruits and veggies not naturally available in Arkansas in January.
124. Unexpected notes, left in my journals by Adam for me to stumble onto.
125. His sweetness in realizing when I've had a rough day, and taking charge of Brooklyn for the evening.


I am a believer in visible progress and the gratification of completion. Five Minute Fridays, knitted accessories that work up in a few days, hard copies of books (as opposed to e readers) so that the front half gets thicker as the back half gets thinner... I am all about getting things done.

So I'm having to force myself to stick to writing down only three gifts a day - I realize that's more of a guideline than an actual rule, but otherwise I would be tempted to just sit down and shallowly list off the first thousand things that came to mind (I suspect it would resemble a classic Thanksgiving dinner prayer - meant well enough, but a trifle trite).

Because sometimes, when you charge through things, you miss details. Like #120 - it's a small thing in itself, but we haven't had a microwave for a couple of years so without it there would have been a much more complex consequence for my forgetfulness. And when I'm forced to slow down and look at things "line upon line," I also feel the weight of accumulation more heavily. Each day I knit the sky - in a year, I'll have a scarf. I look back at the pictures I've taken of Brooklyn each week and I marvel at how much she's grown and changed and developed, and that encourages me when we're in a difficult season. And as I slowly fill pages in the little red notebook I'm tracking gifts in, I marvel at the way there just keep being more - the way that God never runs out of grace, just like I never stop needing it. Actually, I should write that one down...

127. Unending grace.
128. Tiny icicles all over the trees,
129. but only water on the roads.


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Grab a notebook or journal (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us in a weekly link-up to encourage each other by sharing all the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts, add your own below, and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Please check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other!
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Dolly [at] Headed Home
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons






3 comments:

Kelsey Ferguson said...

I love your list. Our God is SO good, even in the minute details! (And I love that you have to limit yourself to three a day. Sometimes I have to give myself a peptalk that it's okay to write something like, 'Simon only melted down 3 times today.') ;)

Kayla said...

I am challenged by your own limit. I have imposed "general" limits - like I can't fill an entire journal page in one day. :) But it would be so very easy, as you said, to go through the house and list off the superficial things I'm thankful for without gratitude truly being wrought in my heart.

Things like pillows to rest my weary head on and cozy quilts to clothe our bed could readily be both taken for granted and blithely added to the list. But the days I add the simple things are the days He truly reminds me that I have so much to be grateful for!

Feisty Mama said...

Sarah could you email me at mamafeist at yahoo dot com and tell me more about this line upon line list idea?