Thursday, January 23, 2014

Doors

This week's gifts...
151. Burp cloths left where they shouldn't be that end up being conveniently within reach in moments of need
152. and tunic length sweatshirts for when there are no more clean jeans to change into
153. Brooklyn being big enough to ride in the cart now, instead of being carried
154. A line item for printer ink in the budget
155. The opportunity to design for an awesome yarn company
156. A couple of hours spent catching up with Carolyn
157. Adam's amazing talent for cooking
158. Residual heat from our neighbors downstairs
159. A convicting sermon that sparked conversation
160. A Spring-warm January day that coincided with a Federal holiday
161. A Father who leads me beside still waters and restores my soul
162. Moss, in all of its furry blue and green and yellow incarnations

163. That I am not in control of my own destiny

After the ups (few) and downs (many) of the past week, we're still dithering in an uncertainty that less involves decisions from us and more involves waiting for decisions from other people (my favorite! not.) A perfectly wonderfully only-God thing had happened, and then it fell apart for no explainable reason. Now we're standing in a hall full of doors, all of them locked, and knocking - knocking and asking and seeking and praying with everything we've got.

As frustrating as that is to me, I am indescribably grateful that there's not a rack of neatly labelled keys anywhere within sight. Because every door I stand before, I see both good and bad - the way that no one is an island, and the way that our walking through any of these doors will affect people and circumstances behind the others - and I fall to my knees praying, Thy will be done, because if given a choice I wouldn't know what to choose.

So as much as I dislike the uncertainty, there is one thing that I can always be certain of: that God is sovereign over all, and with that in mind, I am free to abandon stress and worry and worship at His feet instead, knowing that my future is safer in His merciful hands than clutched tightly in my own - and that the One who clothes the lilies and feeds the sparrows is watching over me.

Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders
let me walk upon the waters,
where ever You may call me
take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior.
[from Oceans by Hillsong United]

164. Target (WalMart is not as big a deal here as it is closer to their corporate offices...)
165. Farm-fresh eggs
166. Fuzzy blankets for snuggling under on the couch
167. Freshly polished toenails
168. Happy squeals for no apparent reason
169. Bright eyes that are sometime grey and sometimes blue
170. Impromptu Tropical Smoothie adventures with Heath and Kristin
171. A breezeway that isn't breezy


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him."
[Lamentations 3:22-24]

Won't you join us in counting (and recounting!) His mercies anew? Grab a notebook or journal (it doesn't have to be fancy) and a pen and write them down, then join us in a weekly link-up to encourage each other by sharing all the blessings we've spotted. Catch up on everyone's posts, add your own below (please stay relevant to the topic when linking up!), and if you don't have a blog, feel free to participate by commenting, instead!

Please check out these #NewEveryMorning hosts, as well, and don't forget to use the hashtag on Twitter so that we can find each other!
   Kayla [at] Renown and Crowned
   Dolly [at] Headed Home
   Kelsey [at] Faith Fun and the Fergusons




No comments: