Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Season of Waiting


It's been a big week, all around. Brooklyn is getting very close to being able to sit up - except that she decided that a better skill to spend her energy on at the moment would be perfecting How To Blow Raspberries (for best effect, done with a mouthful of cereal). Apparently, my inability to properly prioritize is genetic. Adam brought her a Bumbo seat and I've been encouraging that, so hopefully she'll be sitting up soon. :)



She really enjoyed the holiday weekend - four days with the three of us all together. She feels very strongly about us being a family. Just one of us alone with her doesn't count (I'm acceptable for a little while longer than just Adam, but I'm also the food source, so she's biased). It's wonderful that she feels that strongly about it this little - except that Adam has a full time job, and Drill weekends, and Army training, and other obligations that require him to be gone for hours or days at a time.




She gotten very interested in What We're Doing lately - she spent a surprising amount of time over the weekend sitting in our laps and helping us play board games. She thought that the dominoes were amazing (a contributing factor might have been that she was allowed to hold one and put it in her mouth) and she was also delighted with reading the Sorry! cards (delighted for an hour and a half, which is kind of remarkable).



To augment her drumsticks, since she can "prop" now, my grandparents braved Black Friday in quest of a keyboard that we're both extremely excited about. Growing up, my mum had a piano that I had ready access to (a gift that I took for granted) and Brooklyn likes to experiment with the keys, as well as contentedly suck her thumb and watch me play. 

It's a very calming activity for both of us, especially at the end of a long Adam-less day. Also, complicating my aforementioned inability to properly prioritize is a colossal amount of certain uncertainty (some holiday seasonal, and some life seasonal - but more on that in another post), which stresses my sequential soul, and the distraction of trying to learn a new song helps (particularly one out of an old hymnal, so the music is hard and the lyrics are good).



I decided that the responsible thing to do as a good big cousin would be to try out the pop tab project I mentioned last week before suggesting it as a group activity (also, I remembered that I had some suede left over from my zipper pull repair project). Since my wrists are tiny (less than 6 inches around) it didn't take many tabs to make my bracelet, and in my color placement I was thinking "six days to labor, and one to rest" (also that the tabs would probably slide to the underside of my wrist, so I should put the prettiest tab by the knots). I'm very pleased with the result - and, between the lacing underneath and the fact that I took a nail file to each one to smooth it down a little, they aren't sharp (which I will admit was a concern when I first saw the idea).



Also in the crafting category, my Christmas knitting is coming along nicely (the second Junco is complete, just needs to be blocked, and I'm almost finished with the second glove of the first pair - and I think the two pairs of gloves are all I had left...) 

I've also been introducing Brooklyn to my season-appropriate soundtrack. I have a yearly quest to find the best version of every Christmas song (since there aren't really very many - which may be why I'm usually sick of Christmas music by the time Christmas actually arrives) and Pentatonix provided me with a few additions. Now it looks like this:
   1. Angelic Proclamation (medley) - BarlowGirl
   2. Away in a Manger - Susan Boyle
   3. Baby, It's Cold Outside - Dean Martin and Martina McBride
   4. Be Born in Me - Francesca Battistelli
   5. Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley
   6. Carol of the Bells/Be Born in Me - BarlowGirl
   7. Carol of the Bells - Pentatonix
   8. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) - Francesca Battistelli
   9. Do You Hear what I Hear? - Vince Gill
   10. The First Noel - Susan Boyle
   11. Go Tell it on the Mountain - Francesca Battistelli
   12. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - MercyMe
   13. Hallelujah (Light has Come) - BarlowGirl
   14. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Vince Gill
   15. Heaven Everywhere - Francesca Battistelli
   16. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day - Casting Crowns
   17. I'll be Home for Christmas - BarlowGirl
   18. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm - Dean Martin
   19. It Came Upon the Midnight Clear - MercyMe
   20. Joseph's Lullaby - MercyMe
   21. Joy to the World - Michelle Tumes
   22. Last Christmas - Bond
   23. Let There Be Peace on Earth - Vince Gill
   24. Little Drummer Boy - Jars of Clay
   25. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
   26. Marshmallow World - Zach Williams & the Bellow
   27. Mary Did You Know - Jeremy Camp
   28. O Come All Ye Faithful - Elvis Presley
   29. O Come, O Come Emmanuel - Enya
   30. O Holy Night - MercyMe
   31. O Little Town of Bethlehem - Elvis Presley
   32. One Bright Star - Vince Gill
   33. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - MercyMe
   34. Silent Night - Casting Crowns
   35. This Christmas - Pentatonix
   36. Til the Season Comes Round Again - Vince Gill
   37. Truckin' Trees for Christmas - Zach Williams & the Bellow
   38. We Three Kings - The Beach Boys
   39. Welcome to Our World - Chris Rice
   40. Winter Wonderland - Dean Martin
   41. What Child is This? - BarlowGirl
   42. While You Were Sleeping (Christmas version) - Casting Crowns
   43. White Christmas - The Beach Boys
   44.  You're Here - Francesca Battistelli
I'd love to hear about your favorites, and if there are any songs that I've missed!


Something that you won't want to miss if you're in the Fayetteville area on Saturday is the Little Craft Show (finally - squee!) Cold and snow or no, it will be warm in the Town Center and there will be lots of awesome vendors 'n' things - and between that and the Block Street Bizarre on the same day, you should be able to complete any unfinished Christmas shopping, local-style.




And finally, this week's "gifts!"  Lisa and Cara over at The Helpmates began a "Count Your Blessings challenge" on Thanksgiving Day that fit perfectly with 1000 Gifts, and the community and prompts they've provided have been a gift in themselves.

4. Free access to awesome art [Crystal Bridges]
5. and exposure to art supplies of my own
6. Gas and transportation for drives and adventures
7. The luxury of wants fulfilled
8. The ability to shop local
9. A husband who loves me and my hair, whether long or short
10. Beautifully crafted gluten free/dairy free lattes [Onyx Coffee Lab]
11. A lifelong love of reading and writing and words
12. Alone time for quiet study
13. Conviction on speaking the Gospel, instead of only living it and hoping people understand
14. Every sense, and particularly hearing
15. The mathematical proof of a Creator that's found in music
16. Release from worry about my own well-being
17. A God who listens, and answers
18. Rest
19. Access to a writing utensil for every occasion and mood [Shindig Paperie]
20. Freedom of speech
21. The Living Word

No comments: