Saturday, December 7, 2013

I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm


Snow - beautiful snow! My favorite thing about snow is the tradition-making possibilities that it holds (like how Mum and I played balloon volleyball when I was a kid :)


It was really fun introducing Brooklyn to the Strange White Stuff That Falls From the Sky. She is not a fan of cold, and once she found out that the snow itself didn't taste good, she didn't really care about it any more. But, as always, she was all for reading about it. :)


Since Adam was here and finds a boyish delight in conquering the snowy roads, we ventured out to The Little Craft Show this afternoon. We picked up Theo on the way and all had a grand time. [I said there was going to be a photobooth - didn't I? and it was awesome. I'm all for any chance to be photographed with a woolly white beard. And Adam. That, too!] It was a fabulous event, and I'm glad we got the chance to go.


In honor of National Letter-writing Day (who am I kidding? I would have veered toward the paper goods, anyway!) sweet notecards from Elizabeth Sharp, typewriter postcards (that I'm planning to frame) from the lovely ladies at Operation Petticoat (really, genuinely lovely - Theo and I talked to them for awhile), postcards from Audrey Eclectic for a Christmas crafting project, and an irresistible cherry-wood bookmark from Walker WoodWorks (I've drooled over their jewelry at The Mustache - the bookmarks are a new venture on their part).


To make where-ever we live in Little Rock a little homier from the start, we three (Adam, Brooklyn, and I) sniffed candles and settled on this one (spiced cranberry) from Green Bottle Candle Company. Adam and I noticed the other day that our home is filled with what I termed "relics of singleness" - that is, things that one or other of us collected before we met, but that we don't have much together. So, small as it seems, a joint candle decision was a first step in things that, when asked about, we can start telling about with "we" instead of "I."


Because The Little Craft Show was mean and posted pix of them on Instagram several days ago, thereby giving me time to think them over, I made a beeline for Arch+Craft's booth for a pair of hexagonal earrings --- and then the octopus pin. Let me tell you about the octopus...


I spotted the octopus at Wanderlust's booth at the Block Street Block Party last May. I told myself that I had nothing on which to pin a small grey octopus. And then, a few days ago, I started a new hat. It's going to be the last piece in my Local Flavor project, and I decided that it needed a button or pin from the event this weekend. And there, while Theo was hypnotized by the watch locket necklaces, was a bowl of octopi. And now one is serving as motivation to finish this hat (if the below-freezing temperatures outside weren't motivation enough...) Oh, oh, and an exciting side-note on hats: while we were there, I saw someone wearing one that I designed :)


In a rare moment of combined courage, forethought, and creativity, I attempted crockpot chicken --- and it was actually good (Adam does all the main-meal cooking - and he's very good at it - so I generally leave him to it). Success is emboldening - now I want to try other things in the crockpot!



I'm thinking maybe that can become a snowday tradition (after all, it's nice to have food that essentially cooks itself, while making the apartment smell good) - along with board games. Board games are always fun, too. What other traditions are perfect for long, cold wintery afternoons?

No comments: