Friday, November 8, 2013

Truth...

It's Five Minute Friday! An opportunity to write for 5 minutes (no stopping or editing!) on the given prompt, then link up here with lots of other people who are also joining in!
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." [John 1:14]
"...grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift." [Ephesians 4:7]
"...speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into Him who is the head, into Christ," [Ephesians 4:15]
Christ is full of both grace and truth, but I too often find myself at one end of the spectrum. It's such a paradox to my little pea-brain, to balance what seem like opposing concepts.

There was a time when I tipped completely toward truth. Grace sounded too good to be, well, true. And there are so many rules and commands and "if"s and "then"s that it seemed like the way to go. Except that you can only go that way on your own power for a little while, before everything falls apart. And all of the promises that follow those ifs and thens seem depressingly unattainable.

Because they are. It finally clicked! Grace. This inexpressibly glorious gift, bought by a Perfect Sacrifice, and lovingly given, so that all of the truths can be true through Him, instead of through my own power. The weights on either end began to even each other out, and it felt like a weight had been lifted from my heart.

I still struggle not to pour too much into either side - I am by nature a truth-seeker who sees the world in black-and-white imperatives, but I'm learning to balance that with grace. To gently see those around me, not as "needing to get over themselves" or "needing to be better" or "needing to not do that/do something else instead" (because all of those imply that the person could do it themselves, if they were just willing to expend the effort) but as simply and lovingly "needing Jesus."

After all, truth alone, unmingled with grace and love, can be a poison that drains away life and replaces it with pride or fear (depending on how well you think you're doing at it) --- a partial truth isn't true at all, and Christ's truth contains grace, as well.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love your perspective on this because I have been challenged with not leaning to one side or the other, as well. Sarah, I am glad I am not the only girl who struggles with giving and accepting grace, well, really comprehending it. Beautiful, job!!

Christine said...

me too! It is a challenge not to be too legalistic (truth) or too gracious.

Lisa said...

This is really, really good. Honestly. And...it puts some more perspective on the very-same-thing I wrote about in my FMF entry. It's great to find someone who's on the same track. Thanks very much for your thoughtful words!