Friday, September 6, 2013

Red...

It's Five Minute Friday! This time, I'm posting after Brooklyn's in bed, so that I can actually get through 5 solid minutes of writing without having to stop. :)


Before the Depot Arsaga's coffeeshop was the Depot Arsaga's coffeeshop, but long after it ceased to be an actual train depot, it was just an abandoned building. I don't know what other uses it served in the interim, but at some point, a once-red paper lantern ended up being stored - or left - under their back porch.

I spotted it while walking on the nearby trail. Every-ready with a camera and a metaphor, I captured the image --- and the thought.

Once, this lantern had probably illuminated a party - maybe even many parties and happy gatherings of friends and families. It had glowed with warm passion, casting a ruddy light onto the faces of all who looked upon it.

But then, for whatever reason, it was discarded. Of all colors, red is the first to fade in the sun. Scorched by heat, battered by wind and rain, and finally overgrown with weeds, what was once a beacon of joy became an emblem of despair.

It also became a reminder, to me. A reminder of how quickly my happiness fades when I fail to commune with God, to engage in community with fellow believers. Of how my despondency can have a negative effect on those around me, who may be in desperate need of a light, a spark. Of how firmly I need to cling to the hope of the passion within - for myself, and to light the path for others.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. ---2 Corinthians 4:6


3 comments:

Karin Deaver said...

This is one of those images that can speak to such depth and stick in the soul with permanency so that it is there to bloom truth when the spirit chooses to water it. Your simplicity is your strength in this beautiful post. I love how you framed this captured moment in wonderful meaning.

Nickolee Roberts said...

hi! I've been following Lisa Jo for a while but it's my first time to partake in the 5 minute Friday...I loved your post and your eye for pictures! You are SO right about how quickly we can fade when our heart's focus is not on our Maker & Savior! Happy Friday!

AJ Collins said...

Great capture, and a great way to relate it to a spiritual principle! I needed the reminder that other's may need my spark sometimes... and while I can get introspective and become withdrawn, I should still strive to let my light shine!