Friday, September 13, 2013

Mercy...

It's Five Minute Friday! I've really begun to anticipate each week's prompt, looking forward to the opportunity to spend a few moments writing on a surprise subject. :)


I came across James 3:17-18 as part of my daily reading yesterday, and the attributes of the "wisdom from above" stood out to me. Pure - of course. Peaceable - that makes sense. Gentle - yes, yes. Open to reason - well, that's probably how you became wise to begin with. Full of mercy --- that one gave me pause.

"Mercy" is something I think of only in a Biblical context and never outside it. I'm familiar with Psalms and other passages extolling the mercy of God, but hadn't ever really stopped to think about it. Mercy. compassion. forbearance. the executive power of a judge to pardon.

God, be merciful to me, a sinner. I just assume that He'll be merciful to me - overlooking my faults, continually pouring the blood of His Son's sacrifice over me to cover whatever I've done lately. But I often fail to extend that mercy to others... to read on, adding good fruits to good intentions, and truly having the beautiful feet of one who brings good news; the Good News of the Gospel.

The good news of hope. of redemption. of joy. of grace. of mercy. And, fittingly, the (in)mercy campaign that began yesterday is a perfect opportunity to do just that.


A Father to the fatherless,
redeemer of my soul,
my life is Yours forever,
I want the world to know:
Your mercy saved me,
mercy made me whole,
Your mercy found me,
called me as Your own.
[from Mercy by Casting Crowns]

5 comments:

Jean Marie said...

Visiting from FMF! Enjoyed reading this, thank you for sharing....I'll have to look into the Mercy Project!

Anita Ojeda said...

Dropping in from FMF--I'm not sure if we're supposed to encourage the one 'before' us or 'after' us with the whole 'first shall be last' formula--so I'll just encourage as many people as I can! You are spot on with the whole, "God has mercy on us but we forget to have mercy on others" theme. It's a hard lesson for some of us bull-headed, selfish, impatient, short-tempered people to learn :D. Thankfully, we are programmed to learn!

Jessica said...

great post! thanks so much for sharing with us!

Visiting from the link up :)

Jessica

http://mybeautifulli.blogspot.com/2013/09/five-minute-friday-mercy.html

Ceil said...

Hi Sarah Jo! I think you pointed out the conflict between receiving mercy and giving it so well. I do rely on the mercy of God so much, but when I am asked to extend it, mercy seems so hard to express.

Just got to hang in there and keep trying. If I keep my eyes on the Lord, maybe I'll start to act more like him? Hope so anyway!

So nice to meet you today! You have a nice blog here :)
Ceil

Jen Ferguson said...

It can be so hard to show mercy to those closest to us, but remembering what Jesus has done for me and how He shows mercy to me every single day, makes it easier and so important.