Friday, August 23, 2013

Last...

[So, I just discovered the fabulous thing that is Five Minute Friday. And I loved the idea so much that I decided to jump in. If you like to write, or want to write, or just enjoy the community, you should jump in, too!]

"But many who are first will be last, and last first." {Matthew 19:30}

So much of my life, my time, my energy, my talent, my ambition - I spend trying to be first. Trying to be on top. Trying to be the Best at... something.

And I can never. quite. get there.

But what if I tried to be last, instead? If I washed someone's feet instead of standing on their shoulders? If I tried to see how I could be of service to them, instead of calculating their worth to me? If I thought of others and their interests before thinking of myself and mine? What if I worked on building God's kingdom before - or instead of - building my own?

I so deeply desire to leave a mark, to add to the beauty --- and maybe being last is the best way to create a legacy that, well, lasts.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

This was beautifully said. Striving to be last...a wonderful way of looking at life.

Have a nice weekend!

Karin Deaver said...

Your words are grace-filled. I especially liked your comment, "and maybe being last is the best way to create a legacy that, well, lasts." That is one of my deepest desires and you have reminded me of how best to pursue that. It's good to be reminded to be last from time to time. I'm glad I visited from FMF.