Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Unraveled


Six weeks old! It's been a fairly eventful week - she's getting increasingly alert and interested, and she positively giggled in her sleep the other day. And when I weighed her this morning, she had gained a pound, putting her at almost 10 (!!!)


So the tummy troubles she's been having don't seem to be affecting her growth, at least. We did discover that the source is an allergy to dairy, so I've cut that out of my diet and she's already doing better (and I don't mind an excuse to drink more coconut milk ;)


Milk is, unfortunately, just as much of a hidden ingredient as gluten is, but I'm already used to reading labels and doing research so that's not a colossal challenge. It does put a damper on eating out (a pox upon it - why is everything in America made with bread or cheese or both?) but I can pack food if I'm going to be away from home during meal time (the gluten free Udi's bread we get is also dairy free, and peanut butter and roast beef sandwiches may have replaced my former favorite of almond butter and turkey)


We try not to be out too much, besides church on Sundays and Tuesday Knitting Day (knitting at the Library in the morning, then to Handheld to visit and look at all the pretty colors), though we did manage an adventure to Rogers on Saturday. It was nice to do something unnecessary (Adam pointed out that we usually don't leave the apartment unless we have to) and she did very well.


I've gotten several inches done on Brooklyn's leg warmers (if you measure progress like Stephanie Pearl-McPhee does). The dots in the background of the picture are part of the cable chart I'm using for them - I think I'll call the pattern "Wrapped around her finger," and make matching socks for myself. The Sock Rockets are amazing - the good pointy points they put on their lace needles, but the slickness of the regular ones, and it's a good combination with the merino/cashmere/silk blend yarn. I still like the ChiaoGoo needles I've been using for sockweight projects, but I like these better.


"We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man." --from Mere Christianity by CS Lewis

As a knitter, I feel the significance of this quote. If my stitch count, gauge, or pattern are not as they should be, continuing on is a waste of time and energy - I need to pull it out and start over. Sometimes established eating habits must be undone and replaced with new ones; lessons in independence unlearned and principles of community and family retaught; and even though that kinky heap of unknitted yarn reminds me of the stitches (and the time) that I've lost, there is a hope of redemption in the unraveled material that can't be found if I continue on in error.

No comments: