Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Some Things Old, Some Things New


Seven weeks old - almost two whole months! It doesn't seem like it should be almost August - it feels like summer just started yesterday, but all weekend there was a parade of students, parents, siblings and friends (accompanied by trailers and SUVs) marching up and down the steps of our building. In a college town, it's the new neighbors time of year --- and I'm hoping we don't get another 5am Blender User. :)


Brooklyn has gotten exponentially more aware. She likes to lay on her play mat and deliberately kick things (without looking at them), and she's begun to watch what I'm doing. We were at my parents' house one day last week and I was eating fresh kale chips; she reached for them, then emphatically spat out her pacifier, clasped her hands under her chin (that's how she indicates that she wants to eat), and opened her mouth expectantly. It was so cute and hopeful that I felt bad telling her she couldn't have kale chips until she has teeth. She's also started eyeing me disapprovingly when I take her picture.


As much as I love the Moby wrap, it's also presented me with somewhat of a fashion quandary. Too-loose tops bunch uncomfortably, collars and wide neck openings interact weirdly where the wrap crosses my shoulders, and heels and flipflops are out because I can't see my feet and I tend to trip on things. So lately it's been mostly tank tops and plain Tshirts (screen printing is lost under the bundle of baby, and even if it was visible no one can get past Brooklyn's adorability :) with cute shoes and an attempt at baby-friendly accessorizing to mix it up (the best baby-friendly accessory I've found was a pink silicone necklace from Terra Tots - she enjoys holding it, and it's nice to know that it's not going to hurt her, nor her it). I'm still working on a safe (for them) way to reincorporate knits.


There's been a cool breeze in the evenings of late that makes being outside a delight, and I spotted some Queen Anne's Lace on one of our walks a few days ago. While it's not my favorite flower, I still love them because one of my first memories is of the discovery that there was a carrot growing under it. It was when my family lived in Colorado, so I was about two - but the amazing concept of a vegetable disguised as a flower was sufficiently striking that it stuck. Not amazing enough to get me to eat it, but still pretty amazing.



My Mum (and Dad, too, but I spent more time around Mum) was good about sharing things like that with me. We grew things (to eat, or just for the prettiness of it), we went on walks and identified birds and picked up leaves to make rubbings of, we did lots of interesting art projects --- and that's something I want to do with Brooklyn. I found this book at Nightbird Books - about half of it jogged my memory (how could I have forgotten bubble printing?) and the rest is wonderfully new (flyswatter painting? yes, please!) I love art projects - they're good for hand/eye coordination, they're often also science, and above all else, it's an opportunity to create beauty.


The past week has been rather busy and hasn't presented many chances to create, but I did manage a cable repeat on Brooklyn's legwarmers and I'm nearly up to the waist on the linen tank top - hopefully it will be finished in time to wear it this season.


January has never struck me as a good time for change and resolutions - to me, end cap displays of school supplies and the hope of cooler weather to come has always brought the inspiration for a fresh start. New ideas, new habits, new goals --- my mental spring cleaning comes at the end of summer.

No comments: