Thursday, April 18, 2013

Put a Bird On It

Adam's been out of town this week on Army business, so I've spent the nice days exploring the outdoor beauties of Fayetteville and the more recent cold ones exploring the indoor delights. This is such an awesome city...


Several of the manhole covers/storm drains in the Dickson St area have been beautifully painted, and I'd been wondering who'd done them. Monday, I found Tina Oppenheimer in the midst of one in front of the Walton Arts Center. I haven't been by since she finished it, but I'm anxious to see it. Her crocheted life-sized self-portrait serenely occupied a chair at Hand Held for several years and startled everyone who came around the corner, it looked so real. She's very talented.


Another amazing local artist is Hannah Brinson. I've known her for awhile and have always loved her work (especially the foxes!) so I was delighted to find out that she was selling stationery and wood-block prints at The Four-Legged Bird.


The shop has been open in Fayetteville for less than a week and is located on the curve of Archibald Yell Blvd next to Ultra Studios, Vintage Violet and Polish-A-Holic. I noticed an article on their grand opening last week in the Fayetteville Flyer and was planning to stop by when I had a chance. Today was a thoroughly icky day, weather-wise, and my favorite passtime when I'm bored and/or slightly unhappy is to promote a local business, so I stopped by after work.


It was adorably inviting, and they had an awesome selection of art, Ts, jewelry, stationery and dry goods, all handmade and a lot of them not only made by individual artists and artisans but also locally-made. I appreciated their appreciation of local talent.


I'd like to go back with Adam and get him one of the Ts - they had several colors that would look good on him (and several amusing ones that he would probably appreciate :) Until I can wear a normal-sized shirt again, I bravely refrained from getting one for myself.


Scarves, however, are something I can always wear. Long, stretchy infinity scarves are so pretty but take so dreadfully long to knit (don't get me wrong, I'm in the middle of designing one right now, but it'll be awhile before it's finished) so I always love finding cute ones that other people have made. Hopefully the white printing on the minty background will help to lighten up my predominantly black and indigo closet.



Relieved of the need to rush the scarf (it's Artosphere-inspired, so I have through June to finish it), Frisco Trail is coming along nicely (just the hood and the neckband to go!) but this linen/cotton blend was so beautiful I couldn't resist starting a new design with it (and I have an intense need to finish something right now, because big projects are lovely and all but they get old after awhile). Small and simple - I should have the pattern up soon.


I found these buttons at Nightbird Books and couldn't resist - and, they inspired another design for the Local Flavor collection. It was hard to choose, they had so many clever ones, but I felt that "Food for thought" was particularly a propos of me, and I liked the Read Local one.


So many things to knit... so little time to knit them... and I can't blog and knit at the same time, so I'll wrap this up. The next post shall be finished things!

No comments: