Friday, March 29, 2013

Teach Me to Know


About 6 weeks into my time in New York, I told Mum (in a moment of stress) that I just needed a hug. The next day, I was standing in the foyer after church talking to one of the shyer girls in my Lifegroup when the worship team walked through. Zach, the lead, stopped and announced, "Group hug!" I was swarmed by about 8 people, and that got me through until Adam came. I was immediately struck by the action because I hadn't prayed about it or really taken my stress to God in any way, but He unexpectedly provided the encouragement that I needed.

I've been feeling a bit discouraged lately, but when I went in The Mustache yesterday afternoon on my way to work I started humming along with the refrain "and you get carried away, carried away" and it took me a moment to realize that it was a song from Zach's band - The Lone Bellow's - latest album. Teach Me to Know reminded me of the much-needed group hug, and I was "carried away" by the way that God always comes through, even (and especially) in my moments of weakness.

Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. {Psalm 25:4-5}

No comments: