Saturday, March 2, 2013

Intentionally Instagrammed

February made a valiant effort to make up for all the wintery weather that we haven't had all winter by being exceptionally cold and snowy. It was beautiful and allowed me to get some knitting done, and probably helped put an end to the rampant virus that has been plaguing Fayetteville, and will hopefully ensure a decrease in the grasshopper population --- but, I'm ready for Spring now.


Our apartment complex under a blanket of snow - amazing what a square frame and a pretty filter will do for an otherwise low-quality picture! I have often knocked Instagram in the past as not being "real photography" (but it's possible that I'm also a smidge anti-Photoshop, as well...) While I still hold with that statement, I'm beginning to see that it does have some uses.


It allows me to brag on my sweet husband, enabling me to put up pretty shots of all the ways he treats me like a princess for public viewing on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter...


...and to further gush about him for his talent and creativity. (Those are framed cork boards, for Little Bee's room. They added some much-needed color to our oddly dark yellow walls). As much as I want everyone to know how amazing he is, it's also (to some extent) for my own benefit. Fallen human that I am, I often tend to fall into a pattern of criticism, focusing only on the negative. It helps me to able to scroll back through a photo stream and be reminded of how many extraordinary positives there are.


For the benefit of anyone else I may have contact with who is also gluten free, I can snap pics of GF foods that taste "normal."  These were brownies that I made for a D-group dinner. I was actually the only person there who needed them to be GF, but it was nice to have feedback from those who still remember what wheat flour brownies taste like (most of a tub of frosting on top may possibly have helped with that...)


It's also a way to make Adam's amazing food creations look (almost) as good as they taste. Foodtography is not my forte, and I try not to over do it - but sometimes, his culinary creations need to be shared. (That's his own invention of BBQ wings, and mine of Parmesan pesto spirals.)


The most recent positive I've discovered with Instagram is the networkability of it. I feel strongly about supporting local business, and being able to post a photo and tag the shop where I got it is one way I have of trying to get others on board with my passion. In this case, The Mustache saw the photo and also tagged Lauren Embree, the Fayetteville resident who made these earrings.


While The Mustache is a brick-and-mortar business, they aren't really in any danger of going under at the moment. But that same networkability can be used to promote a business that isn't doing so well. Flying Possum Leather is located on Block Street, and they are both willing and able to make extraordinary things with leather (I had this belt custom made as a supplement to a knitted design). But right now, they need people to make things for. Sharing this photo allowed me to bring to people's remembrance a shop they may have forgotten about, or inform them of one they may not have known existed.

The fun of Instagram is that it's, well, instant. Like a Polaroid camera (without the expensive film), you can immediately and beautifully capture and share any moment. So why not pause to consider which moments you capture, and try to make every photo count?

When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world.
---George Washington Carver

No comments: