Monday, March 18, 2013

A Spring Break


The trees are starting to wake up, and so am I! I deliberately took a walk down Dickson Street so I could capture this blooming beauty - I was struck by the contrast of twisted limbs and fragile flowers.


Over the weekend, Adam and I got to spend some time outside. I'm looking forward to more days like that (this being Arkansas, it may snow later this week, but we're ultimately on a Springward path!) As much as I love walks and parks and being out of doors in the nice weather, it's always better done with my Bear than it is alone.


We did some photoshooting, too. This is the Maple Street Messenger Bag - every few years I make a new messenger bag, with some improvement that I've thought of from using the last one.


This time, I made it shallower (to keep me from overloading it too badly), striped (I've never made a multi-colored one before), knitted a pocket and seamed it in before felting (since my fabric sewing skilz are... iffy), used a belt from Flying Possum as the strap (a knitted strap stretches too much), and found a cute pair of vintage earrings at Grey Dog Boutique to embellish the flap with. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.


I've been working on this for about a month, off and on, between other projects. The Hipster Scarf is my re-imagining of the Firefly Fringed Scarf. The yarn was a gift, and I wanted to use all of it, so I ended up with a pretty big triangle (over 5 feet wide) and while I loved the self-fringing concept, I added beads to mine (because beads make everything better!)


This eye mask took me about 2 days to make (and that includes time spent waiting for it to dry after blocking so that I could add a little muslin pocket inside, filled with flax and lavender). I wanted the beadwork to look like falling rain, but rather than try to place my beads at an angle, I decided to let the fabric do the work. Knitting is so cool...


Walking and taking pictures is tiring business, so we had lunch on Dickson St while we were out. And colored, because coloring is fun. 'Twas Adam's idea (I'm such a slow eater, he had to have something to do), but I was fully on board with the idea. :)


One good thing about being gluten free is that we are, to some extent, forced to eat more healthfully. Our eating-out options have been drastically cut, so there is no Sonic, Burger King, Chick-Fil-A or McDonald's, and the options we have are more expensive than the aforementioned places so we don't eat out as often; also, life is just easier if we cook using naturally GF ingredients (like fruits, vegetables and fresh meat). And often, the GF versions of junk foods taste like the diet versions of junk foods, so they aren't worth it.

But I was born believing that on Saturday mornings, you have pancakes for breakfast. There is nothing from my childhood that supported that belief, but I have always held it and, as an adult, have held to it as best I could. I mystified my roommate in Brooklyn by practically deep-frying pancakes in Crisco. "That's a nonstick pan..." she told me, clearly confused. I shared my breakfast with her that day, and explained that in the South, nonstick doesn't mean that you don't have to use Crisco (or butter...), it just makes the clean up afterwards easier.

So I was very happy to find this in a local grocery store. Not that I plan to have pancakes or biscuits very often, but it's very nice to know that it's available (especially when we have people over who aren't GF).


Altogether, a busy but productive few weeks, culminating in a lovely weekend. Adam will be extra-busy at work this week (since it's Spring Break, he'll have a chance to get some remodeling-type maintenance done at church) and I have practically nothing going (since it's Spring Break, nearly everyone I know is out of town), but hopefully that will give me lots of knitting time. The burst of warmer weather gave me some ideas...

No comments: