Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Knit, Love

The usual assortment of unrelatedness, with perhaps a little more knitting than usual. :)


This is a Firefly Scarf (I don't have a photo of the finished piece yet, but it is finished and only took two days to make) and it marks a colossal milestone on my knitting path: using the exact yarn and needles called for, I followed the pattern in its entirety without deviation, including blocking as instructed. That is a first for me - I'm a chronic pattern-modifier.


To make up for my abnormal compliance, I'm in the midst of designing a sweater (also something I've never done. I haven't actually made very many sweaters and have been vocally anti-sweater for most of my knitting career...) This is "Date Night" and I hope to have the pattern published by/before Valentine's Day. All that remains is a sleeve and the front band.


Cynthia's current work-in-progress was so pretty that I couldn't resist snapping a shot this afternoon. Her little project bag (made by a friend and customer of the shop) --- the gorgeous green yarn, perfect for the delicate cable pattern (her own, of course) --- the contrast of the cable needle against its woolly background --- and, since I'm sure she'll be finished with these by the time I see her again in two days, this was my only chance to get an "in progress" photo.


More prettiness that I'm not responsible for. This falcon is stenciled onto the back of a pay-parking kiosk on West St, and I've admired it often in driving by. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I walked to Orange Leaf from UBC and realized that it was my first chance to capture it without fighting against the northern mistral that's been howling of late.


Orange Leaf (self serve frozen yogurt) is Adam's and my Love the City/Eat Local location. It's perfect, since he's a fruit-flavored-sugar kind of guy and gets all the brightly colored tropical flavors (with M&Ms and gummy worms to top it off), and I'm a pink-and-chocolate Valentine kind of gal and happily coordinate my selections with corresponding fruit or chocolate toppings.

It's also a great place for Carolyn and I to go for our weekly discussions, since neither of us are really big coffee drinkers. We met all last semester (her first at the UofA) at an on-campus Arsaga's as we went through a study in Philippians, but we're both happy with the location change. And our book talk on Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life is a great way to start conversations with inquisitive employees.



Adam did end up teaching me how to play Texas Hold 'Em. I can't say that I'm any good at it (yet), but it was lots of fun - if for no other reason than his enthusiasm at getting to teach me something. I lost (of course) but did manage to win back my last few chips on an utter fluke of a hand. It seems like an interesting combination of chance and strategy, which I like - I think I'll enjoy it more once I learn it a bit more thoroughly.

However - I think my nail polish is dry enough now to knit, so I'd better get back to that sweater!

No comments: