Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Year, New Projects

After two weeks off from knitting, I'm re-inspired and have two new designs started, both using yarn that I acquired during my summer in New York.


First up is Pensive, destined to be over-the-knee legwarmers. I love boots, and I like skirts, but find that wearing both at the same time in the winter requires pairing them with tights or leggings, neither of which I really like. This is my proposed solution - hopefully, it will succeed!


Delighted is a break from the uninterrupted length of knitting that is required for over-the-knee legwarmers. I'm using Noro Taiyo - and even though these aren't colors that I would normally lean toward, it's a rather addictive knit.

While I was Not Knitting, I spent a lot of time reading, and thinking. Something that came of that was to start working in the Etsy page I set up a long time ago and never maintained. It seems like a great place to list those of my designs that I make for the fun of it and not for the need of it - that way, they'll hopefully end up with someone who will use and enjoy them. Delighted may end up there, if I can give it up once I've finished it...

That was partly inspired by a reread of David Platt's book Radical. The proceeds of my pattern sales aren't part of our normal budget, and it's my hope that by investing a little of it toward Etsy postings I can build it up more quickly and be able to fund a worthy cause, or mission trip (someone else's, or my own). It would still be a sacrifice, which is as it should be (after all, it's kind of nice to have a private, unaccounted-for fund) but it would be better spent if not spent on whatever strikes my fancy.

I've also been keeping up with the Adventures of Rawr. I think the next picture may need to be of him working on the Noro project - they would coordinate well. :)


So, Rawr reading...


...making notes...


...and blogging about what he's read and made notes on.

I've also been cooking a bit. I needed some sort of healthy snack, so this is my recreation of tatziki sauce, which is the only way I've ever enjoyed cucumbers. Hope you enjoy it, as well! (Sorry for the lack of picture - the ones I took made it look infinitely less appetizing than it really is.)

Tatziki:

Mix 1 block of softened cream cheese, dill to taste (I used fresh, but dried would also work), and 5 tablespoons of olive oil in medium-sized bowl. Once it's thoroughly mixed, add 1 sliced cucumber and stir 'til it's coated. Store in the refrigerator, and serve cold.

No comments: