Thursday, November 22, 2012

Give Thanks

It's the day before The Day You Get Great Bargains - but at what cost? Thankgiving is so often trampled over as that random weekday most people get off work, which we spend eating (or cooking) with family and watching (or perhaps playing) football, resting up for the upcoming Christmas franticism (made frantic mostly because of our consumeristic mindset, and a failure to focus on the original reason for the holiday).

I was able to spend the day with my sweet husband, visiting both his family and mine; eating amazing gluten-free food cooked by my Mum, with plenty of left-overs to be sent home with; driving freely from place to place in one of our two fully functional automobiles with more than enough gas to get there; dressed in clothing perfectly suited to the weather that I spent awhile choosing this morning from the many choices I have; and now, home in our own apartment which is pleasantly warm from our neighbors' heat --- all of which I often tend to take for granted, flipping longingly through tomorrow's sale flyers and forgetting not only the things that I already have, but also the people and circumstances that money can't buy and stuff could never replace.

For the past 22 days, a lot of the people I'm Facebook friends with have been posting things they're thankful for each day - I think it's a wonderful idea. Enough so that I'm going to do it, too - every day between now and Christmas. It's easier to speak of gratitude in the calm before the storm - but it's during the storm itself that we need a daily pause to remember the One who holds the world, and our lives, in His hands.

So today I begin: today, I am especially thankful for the gift of new life (both spiritual, and literal).


Today it's easier to be thankful - everyone is thankful to someone for something today. But tomorrow, and in the days to come, I pray that I will continue to stay focused on true blessings and on the merciful God who provides them. Happy Thanksgiving, all!

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

I am SO happy for you!
Happy Thanksgiving!