Monday, October 29, 2012

Nipping at Your Nose

It's been awhile since I blogged! And I still don't have much to blog about... It seems like I've been busy of late, but I can't think what it is I've been doing. Hopefully things will even out and become more photo-friendly soon!


I took this from inside my car a few mornings ago. The sun hadn't been on the windshield long, so the thick layer of frost was just beginning to crack. Beautiful! (Less beautiful was sitting in the cold car while it defrosted and nearly being late to church, but it melted eventually.)


It's beginning to be sweater weather. I finished Isen just in time! It was a fun knit - I also went ahead and made a matching cowl, because the yarn was such a delight to knit with (Manos Maxima - the label says it's merino. It felt like knitting a cloud).


When the leaves start to turn and the breeze develops an edge, my mind turns to soup. I'll share one of my cold-weather staples (apologies for the lack of picture - foodtography is not my strong point and I was unable to take snap a pic that wasn't utterly unappetizing):

Instant Potato Soup
Combine
---1 13ish ounce box of potato flakes
---1 9ish ounce box of powdered milk
---2 packets of Simply Organic French Onion Dip mix (I used that brand because it's gluten-free)
This will make about 11 cups of mix, which should be sealed in an airtight container.
To turn it into soup:
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine equal parts mix, milk and water (I use 1/2 cup of each for a single serving). Add a dash of pepper, and some butter, if you like. Stirring frequently, cook until it reaches desired thickness.
I like to eat mine with cubes of cheddar cheese and some sort of cracker - it has lots of potential for being personalized to your own taste, though.

No comments: