Thursday, September 6, 2012

Time Capsule

Found this, and had to share it:


What really got me knitting was inheriting leadership of a Library teen knitting group (that forced me to stay motivated, and to learn so that I would be able to teach). It ultimately turned out to be a very good thing, and I led it for about 4 years. This sign, and box of supplies, are from the first meeting I led. I had just turned 18, and it was a trial run (although, she didn't tell me that. The librarian who founded the group was out of town that day and asked me to lead - to find out if it was something I'd be able to do permanently). That happened to be the day that the newspaper came to interview us (that was fun) and several people learned to knit (including one who I unexpectedly rediscovered also attending UBC last fall).

When I went to retrieve some of the supplies that were taking up space in a Library closet, Hotspur and I found the original box - with the original sign. For 5 years it had stayed there, and it was finally clinging by only a single corner of a narrow strip of tape. So I took the sign, and the box, because they reminded me of what turned the disliked craft into hobby that became a passion that became a career - and has led to all sorts of adventures.

No comments: