Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ami & Ame

Things happened - and I happened to be in a picture-taking mood, so there are pictures of them. :)


We got in a gorgeous new silk ribbon yarn at Hand Held, and Cynthia let me take a skein home to play with. I created Soliloquy. It was fun to knit with - I've never really worked with ribbon much.


I also made a hat - Skeppa. I love hats, but rarely design them. No, that's inaccurate - I rarely write down the pattern, but I usually make up the hats that I knit. This one was my portable project through the past few very busy weeks, and after the photoshoot it went to a deserving wearer.


And finished yesterday, Captain Anne. I started this over a year ago, with yarn that Claudia of Claudia Hand Painted gave me. It had been hibernating in a bag in the bottom of a basket, waiting for me to finish the lace edging. Now that it's finished and I've worn it for a day, I wish I'd finished it sooner - it's amazing! I love how it feels, and looks.


I am almost finished with the Windward shawl. Cynthia C's (bottom left) is finished and blocking - she needed extra yarn to complete hers. I'm going to run out, too, but I think I'll just taper it off gracefully and let it be asymmetrical.


This does not, of course, keep me from plotting my next project - on whatever medium is available when inspiration strikes. This is going to be a shawl, if the slightly tribal sketches left you confused.


I do also engage in activities other than knitting. Tea with Amy, for example, sitting with our feet in the pool and splashing each other. Because it's fun :)


Granted, I was knitting at the same time - but that made it harder for me to get splashed, because she is a Good Friend and Respects The Knitting.


My other obsession, Adam-bear, and I, spent the weekend away in Springfield. We went to the zoo (which was really good) because I love zoos and because he's zoo deprived and hasn't been to any (except the Prospect Park Zoo in Brooklyn, which I took him to and it was fairly small). It rained the entire time we were there - and was enjoyable none the less.


I heard once that there are 400 Japanese words for rain, depending on the type, circumstances, and surface upon which it falls. I'm not sure how true that is, but after sitting in a stand of bamboo while it poured rain, I can see how one would need a unique word to describe the uniquely beautiful rhythm of water droplets filtering down the leaves and stalks to the dried, fallen leaves below.

[Note: The title of this post is (as accurately as I can be, since I don't speak Japanese and resorted to Google) the English alphabet phonetic representation of the words for Knitting and Rain.]

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I love the skirt! It's beautiful!