Friday, July 1, 2011

The City Never Sleeps

Seriously. Never. Last week I presented NYC as a pleasant, homey place. That took some effort. It is big - and loud - and brash - and bold - and I love it here. :)
The trains are an amazing system of transportation...
...if you don't feel the need for personal space. One good thing about being packed in like sardines is that if you can't reach anything to hang onto, you're pressed in so tight there's no way you even could fall over.
My stop only has 2 trains, the B and the Q, so the platform itself is rarely busy. But I've been there from 6 in the morning to 10 at night and every time in between and there are always people waiting.
The pedestrians religiously use the marked crosswalks - but completely ignore the walk/don't walk lights. This intersection, in Manhattan on 6th Ave, is one of the few where no one crosses unless the light is in their favor.
The BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expressway) cuts across Brooklyn and Queens - it is horribly busy, and actually faster to take a train. I was on it once, on my way into town - I hope to only have to be on it one more time; on my way home.
I told you. It never sleeps. This is downtown Brooklyn at 11pm on a weekday night. There are always people on the streets, going and doing.

No comments: